• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question for my fellow Hunters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always store my guns pretty heavily oiled. Not that it is necessary. I would just rather have the extra peace of mind. 2-3 days before the hunt I start the process of swabbing it out. Every time I pass it or so for about 2 days I run a dry path or two down the bore. Again, not that it needs to be this much. I wipe down the lock with Zeiss optical wipes and ESPECIALLY the frizzen and pan. I then wipe off the the same areas with a clean patch. My one fowler, built by one of our friends, is as reliable as an AK unmentionable so I don't think I have had much opportunity to see the difference anyway.

I generally follow similar procedures; however, I don't use alcohol.......I use brake cleaner....evaporates quicker, any residual oil is now on the patch and no worries about fouled fresh powder during the loading process.

For decades I have a method that has proved to be effective with producing 1st shot results from a cleaned and lubed(WD40 or Barricade) that are consistent/accurate with subsequent shots from a fouled barrel. This has worked with both percussion and flintlock rifles. Prior to the hunt or shooting session I will swab the barrel/breach with a patch or two of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. I will also squirt a bit of IPA in the flash channel. I’ll then run a dry patch or two down the barrel and a pipe cleaner and or compressed air to dry the flash channel. The IPA dries quickly. With my percussion rifles, I always fire a cap and check for clearance prior to the first load.
IPA is great (I drink it) but no way will I pee on my rifle!/Ed

I don't oil my bore at all ! I have a very good grade of lithium white grease i use after a good cleaning inside n out. I just use several dry patches the day before i am going to shoot to clean grease out n do the alcohol patches n wipe pan & frizzen good.

I've been told you can load even if you don't dry the barrel from alcohol swabbing, that alcohol will not spoil the powder. Never tried it but I'm gonna try it by pouring some alcohol on a pat h outside the barrle, like on a work bench, and put a match to it, see if it goes poof.

I store my flinter barrel-down, and prior to hunting season, I take her out to the range and practice up again... always fun, and always a good reminder. I don't shoot much except for around hunting season, so it's good to verify my accuracy and just go through the motions. If I'm going to be hunting soon after, I'll not go through the whole cleaning routine, but will do a quicker swab (the same that I do at the range after several shots). I stuff the barrel prior to leaving home and then cover the frizzen with a leather cover so that there's no chance of an unintended spark while in transport.

During hunting season, I do not unload between days or even weeks. I'll take that end of season shot at a tree stump to unload it when I know I'm not heading out again that season. That's when I do my really deep clean, then store it upside down again for next season.

I've been told you can load even if you don't dry the barrel from alcohol swabbing, that alcohol will not spoil the powder. Never tried it but I'm gonna try it by pouring some alcohol on a pat h outside the barrle, like on a work bench, and put a match to it, see if it goes poof.
About 100% of the time 91% rubbing alcohol evaporates in seconds.

I do either one or the other. Both work fine.

1. Swab the oiled bore with a very wet alcohol patch, pumping the rod to blow alcohol out of the nipple/flash hole. Then a dry patch or two.
2. Give the bore a blast of Carb Cleaner, followed by a dry patch.
^^^ This, before I leave the house. Isopropyl works well but there's always a gallon can of denatured alcohol if I'm out of the other.

After I clean and lightly oil, I always run a dry patch or two down the lightly oiled barrel to take away any excess. The steel doesn't have to be damp with oil to protect it. It takes very little oil to protect it from rust, and shouldn't even feel "oily". Before going out for a hunt with a flinter, I would run another couple of dry patches down the barrel, and wipe down the lock really well with a dry patch or towel. There shouldn't be any problems with oil interfering with ignition with that done.

For decades I have a method that has proved to be effective with producing 1st shot results from a cleaned and lubed(WD40 or Barricade) that are consistent/accurate with subsequent shots from a fouled barrel. This has worked with both percussion and flintlock rifles. Prior to the hunt or shooting session I will swab the barrel/breach with a patch or two of 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. I will also squirt a bit of IPA in the flash channel. I’ll then run a dry patch or two down the barrel and a pipe cleaner and or compressed air to dry the flash channel. The IPA dries quickly. With my percussion rifles, I always fire a cap and check for clearance prior to the first load.
IPA? India Pale Ale?

I use Barricade which dries quickly leaving a molecular barrier. It can be swabbed before shooting or just left like it was stored with no problem. It doesn't "build-up" in the bore.

Latest posts

Back