• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd season opener in central Illinois

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My oldest boy saw a single deer this morning, and had one walk calmly and steadily by with in 20 yards but the deer shooting lane was somewhat in line with me in my stand so better safe than sorry the close encounters seems to be motivating the boy to hunt more so I cant complain. Keep them teenage boys in the timber. Keep them out of trouble.

Jethro-Great shooting on this ADULT DOE !Where we hunt it would be called a box-car doe!

12-03-09doe.jpg
[/quote]

You hunt in Deer Heaven-Enjoy it!

Go Get-um Next week! Keep the hunting stories and pic's coming-very entertaining....Dan

Good shootin Jethro..I got in the woods a little late the first morning..right at daylight and doe saw me getting my stand on the tree and ran off blowing. later on a big doe a two small ylrlings came by at about 10 steps and I let them pass. Yesterday I saw a mule size buck the next ridge over and couldn't grunt him any closer..then a guy comes in at 10am and puts a stand up less than a hundred yds from me. I waved my orange hat at him but to no avail. No longer than five minutes after he got in his stand he shoots. I get down as noisy as possible and walk over to him. Ask him if he saw me waving my hat and he says no and that he shot at a decent size buck and missed. I ask him if he's going to hunt there in the morning and he says not if you are and I say I'm going to hunt about 600 yds behind you..where the buck came from. But I didn't go this morning and might go this afternoon..or wait till next weekend.

Well, I finally got my first ever deer hunt in. Wasn't without some problems.

First fellow who was going to take me to a spot never got back in touch with me despite my attempts to get ahold of him.

Second fellow says, sure, come along.

First day of the season, I was stuck at work. Second day of the season, he was not going out as he was going to take his son but not take him out of school, so my first day is the 3rd day of a 4 day season.

He tells me he has a place to hunt. It was a place near the county line, too near the county line. Right across it as a matter of fact, and my tag was for this county only.

No matter says he, he will find a spot. He does. A friend of his says, sure, I am hunt on his land. So they set me up with a spot. Day one goes by, plenty of tracks nearby, but nothing shows here. Plenty of shooting to the south and east of me, but no action by me.

Today, plenty of shooting to the south and west of me, but nothing here. I did hear something running behind me in the cornfield, but never saw what it was.

So week one of muzzleloading, or Illinois's second firearm season is passed for me. (Kid's have band concerts this afternoon which will run to sundown).

Week two is coming up. Will my Pedersoli Jager bark in delight? :idunno: Will I actually see something? :surrender: Will I ever shut up? :yakyak:

The Doc is out now. :v

DrLaw said:
Well, I finally got my first ever deer hunt in. Wasn't without some problems.

First fellow who was going to take me to a spot never got back in touch with me despite my attempts to get ahold of him.

Second fellow says, sure, come along.

First day of the season, I was stuck at work. Second day of the season, he was not going out as he was going to take his son but not take him out of school, so my first day is the 3rd day of a 4 day season.

He tells me he has a place to hunt. It was a place near the county line, too near the county line. Right across it as a matter of fact, and my tag was for this county only.

No matter says he, he will find a spot. He does. A friend of his says, sure, I am hunt on his land. So they set me up with a spot. Day one goes by, plenty of tracks nearby, but nothing shows here. Plenty of shooting to the south and east of me, but no action by me.

Today, plenty of shooting to the south and west of me, but nothing here. I did hear something running behind me in the cornfield, but never saw what it was.

So week one of muzzleloading, or Illinois's second firearm season is passed for me. (Kid's have band concerts this afternoon which will run to sundown).

Week two is coming up. Will my Pedersoli Jager bark in delight? :idunno: Will I actually see something? :surrender: Will I ever shut up? :yakyak:

Where were you hunting at? Which county line? Henderson, McDonough, Schuyler, or Adams? I hunt outside of West Point.

Well the deer are safe from me until next weekend. No big buck pics to show. The deer just weren't moving today. Only saw one doe and a coyote this morning and a half-racked small buck this evening. Nothing but squirrels in between. We'll see what Friday brings. :grin:

Bummer you couldn't get out Swampy. Won't the nurse visit yer deer stand? :wink:

buttonbuck, it sounds like you have the right plan on keeping that teenager occupied. I hope he gets one.

Thanks Dan. I'll try and get ya some more stories and pics next weekend. It'd be my pleasure.:wink:

Hoyt, I hate when that happens. Both the doe blowin' and the rude jerk. Good luck next weekend. :hatsoff:

I'm glad you finally got a chance to get out and hunt some deer Doc. :thumbsup: Good luck next weekend.

No worrys I just need to get used to the fact I can't hunt this year. I just refuse to let it sink in yet. But I got a great nurse who spoils me and actually eats venison, can't beat that.

luie b said:
Where were you hunting at? Which county line? Henderson, McDonough, Schuyler, or Adams? I hunt outside of West Point.

The friend was across the Henderson line, my permit is for here, only. I was south of Elvaston.

gmww said:
Well done! :thumbsup: Is it me or is the coloring on that doe a little odd? I guess I'm used to more white around the nose and mouth.

I don't think you are seeing things there gmww. It's widely known around these parts that people in the Peoria area of Illinois do awfully strange things with animals. I bet that's lipstick.

:rotf: :blah:

DrLaw said:
gmww said:
Well done! :thumbsup: Is it me or is the coloring on that doe a little odd? I guess I'm used to more white around the nose and mouth.

I don't think you are seeing things there gmww. It's widely known around these parts that people in the Peoria area of Illinois do awfully strange things with animals. I bet that's lipstick.

:rotf: :blah:

Well, she hadta look good fer the pitcher didn't she? :idunno: :haha:

There's actually quite a bit of variation in whitetail coloring. This doe had a bit less white than some. I've seen deer with double throat patches, no throat patch, no white around the nose, black stripe down the spine, piebald, and one with an actual mane like a zebra.
Seen pics of all white and all black too. And one where the normally white parts were black.

DrLaw said:
luie b said:

The friend was across the Henderson line, my permit is for here, only. I was south of Elvaston.

My dad used to hunt down there. It was convenient since he used to work for supreme swine in elvaston so he hunted before work. But from what I heard that's some good hunting.

Second week of the muzzleloader season in Illinois. Went out yesterday, nothing, not even new tracks in the snow. (Sigh). :(

Today, basketball playoffs for 8th grade girls. And of course, my daughter's team is playing. Well, off to be a father!

DrLaw said:
Second week of the muzzleloader season in Illinois. Went out yesterday, nothing, not even new tracks in the snow. (Sigh). :(

Today, basketball playoffs for 8th grade girls. And of course, my daughter's team is playing. Well, off to be a father!

I went to my usual morning spot this morning and at about 8:00 9 does started coming down the fenceline and crossed onto my side at about 45 yards. They fed a little bit in that part of the timber and then they started getting suspicious and they left 15 min. later. If I needed to shoot a doe today this would have been a great oppurtunity but I am holding out for a good buck since we have killed 2 mature does, 2 young does, 2 button bucks, and a 3 1/2 year old buck. I think I should give the deer a break. I jumped two small bucks at 15 yards while rabbit hunting today. So I have to say it hasn't been a bad day. This was also probably my last time deer hunting this year.

alright you Illinois Hunters I saw a buttonbuck this morning at 75 yards I assume a BB cause it was a fawn size deer by itself. It is windy and all that but I am going to go. There are still another day of muzzleloader season and we have two gun seasons left to hunt does so I am going because I always see something new the worst thing I have do to is clear some brush around my stands like this morning when the wind picked up. This is far better than staying home and folding my wife's laundry. Going now hope to report something good....

I just got in from hunting all day. Nice and sunny out this morning here but not a deer to be seen. Cloudy, windy, and freezing rain/sleet this evening. Finally saw one lone deer about 20 minutes before quitting time. I think it was a small buck. It was all by itself and acted like a buck anyway. It was hard to say for sure due to the crummy light and 75 yard distance. I let it go.

One last crack at a big ML buck tomorrow. :thumbsup:

That's sounds like a lot more fun than painting the kitchen..forever the honey-do's. Why did they put Christmas near the end of the hunting season anyway?

Go-get-em tomorrow!

Back