• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have, too much spread. I used 25gr 3f, thin card, same amount of shot, card over that and Elmer's glue. Shot a a soda pop can at about 10 feet. Not one pellet hit. Moved in closer after every shot. Finally had about 6 pellets hit at about 5 feet. 2 penetrated and stayed inside can. The shot I used was a mix that was given to me. Look like #4, #6 and #9. Went up to 35gr and filled chamber with shot about 1/8" below chamber mouth. Glued in a card. Nothing changed. Shot the last round at about a foot, had about 4 or 5 pellets completely penetrated through the can. I quit on it.
Hope this helps.

I have, too much spread. I used 25gr 3f, thin card, same amount of shot, card over that and Elmer's glue. Shot a a soda pop can at about 10 feet. Not one pellet hit. Moved in closer after every shot. Finally had about 6 pellets hit at about 5 feet. 2 penetrated and stayed inside can. The shot I used was a mix that was given to me. Look like #4, #6 and #9. Went up to 35gr and filled chamber with shot about 1/8" below chamber mouth. Glued in a card. Nothing changed. Shot the last round at about a foot, had about 4 or 5 pellets completely penetrated through the can. I quit on it.
Hope this helps.
thanks, maybe some buck shot might work better, happy trails

I have. Similar results to what Jappo said. I haven't played around with it since.

I bought a cylinder on ebay out of curiosity. It fit my 51 navy. Drilled a hole in the arbor and tapped it for a screw. Had to file down a washer for correct fit. Worked good.

That gun needs some .357 shot cups like Speer used to sell. I have some for my 44 mags and have shot spruce hens with them quite handily using I think was #7 shot if memory serves.
Interestingly, the patterns are much denser in the four inch gun than in the 7.5 and 8-3/8s barreled revolvers. The shot cup with it's plastic lid keeps the shot column contained and off the rifling until it disintegrates upon muzzle clearance . I could kill spruce hens at 15-20 ft away with ease and I bet it would work just as well in the pepper box .
I've not tried it on snakes as we have none in AK but I would think it would riddle a rattler or cotton mouth on the ground at the same distance or closer.

Latest posts

Back