• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1/4" Ram Rod?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm 90% of the way through a gun build of a half stock rifle. It's time to drill the ram rod hole and mount pipes on the barrel.

I have access to 1/4" solid brass rod which I think would make a good rod. Other than tradition, can you think of any reason why a 1/4" solid brass rod would not be desirable?

I think the weight and smoothness of the brass rod would make it tend to wander from its place in the gun. When the gun is fired, the recoil may tend to cause the rod to slide forward. Just swinging the gun around quickly may cause enough inertia to pull the rod out too.

Wooden ramrods are lighter and have a little more texture to grab the ramrod hole. And still, keeping a wooden ramrod in place can also be an issue, often a common complaint. I think a brass rod would just be more difficult to keep in place.

Lots of folks use a brass rod as their range rod, keeping a wooden rod in place in the gun, while using the brass rod for all the hard work.

Just my thoughts, it may be tight enough to hold still :idunno: . Bill

The only thing that comes to mind is the wet noodle effect, bending inside the bore when seating and dragging along the rifleing, but brass is softer than steel.

What about the end, how would accesories be screwed in? Jag, Worm,,?

And the pipes, you'll have to make your own Ramrod pipes/Thimbles, don't forget some kind of "keeper".

necchi said:
The only thing that comes to mind is the wet noodle effect, bending inside the bore when seating and dragging along the rifeling, but brass is softer than steel.

What about the end, how would accessorieses be screwed in? Jag, Worm,,?

And the pipes, you'll have to make your own Ramrod pipes/Thimbles, don't forget some kind of "keeper".

I'll be fabricating my own pipes Necchi. That's why I'm mulling this over now. I can drill and tap the ends of the rod for 10-32 jags and fittings. Actually, I'm thinking about drilling and tapping one end and fixing a permanent jag on the other. And I can knurl and inch or two on the end for a better grip.

I hadn't thought about a keeper. But it wouldn't be difficult to solder a small brass fence on the bottom of the barrel at the muzzle. I have an old Belgium caplock smoothbore with a keeper like that.

I've tried flexing a 36" length of the 1/4" rod. There's not much bend at all. The more I think about it the better I like the idea.

Semi,
I've got a couple of rifles that require a 1/4" rod. A 1/4" rod made out of wood, hickory or other, is pretty flimsey. I have them on the rifles for looks but use a range rod of stainless for the actual loading.
Mark

Papa said:
Semi,
I've got a couple of rifles that require a 1/4" rod. A 1/4" rod made out of wood, hickory or other, is pretty flimsey. I have them on the rifles for looks but use a range rod of stainless for the actual loading.
Mark

Me too Papa. My .32 Pedersoli flinter has a 1/4" hickory rod. Believe me, I baby that sucker every time I use it when hunting. Like you, I always use a stainless range rod for general shooting.

A local metals supplier has 1/4" x 12' brass rods for $24. I can use that for my new build, replace the rod on my Pedersoli with brass, and still have five feet left over.

I've tried flexing a 36" length of the 1/4" rod. There's not much bend at all. The more I think about it the better I like the idea.

If you like the idea that is all that counts. My feeling is 1/4" would be too small for strength but if you think it is OK, go for it.
I like the idea you are doing for yourself. :applause:

I had to use a 1/4" for my .32 caliber. Bought two other ".32 caliber" rods that didn't fit.
Its brass, the wooden one that came in my gun just seemed too flimsy.

Back