• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Spike Knives Out There

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenfilthie

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a pile of railroad spikes in my saddle bags the other day...my wife and I found them where they had done some track maintenance work and I had seen some YouTubers where the fellas forge them and make knives out of them.

Is it worth while? Are the knives any good? Would you fellas have any worth posting a pic of?

There are actually two grades of the spikes. Regular and HC or high carbon. However neither one is high enough in carbon to make a decent knife.

They are basically a curiosity piece! However they do make good forging practice, when you are learning how to move the steel in the direction you want it too move!

How about a tomahawk

IMG_1611.jpg

Well isn't that a beaut! :applause:

So can I assume the spikes probably won't hold an edge? Can't you heat treat them to a harder temper?

Hey Stuart, did ya upset the spike before you hammered it? Looks good and it looks like a broad edge...Bud :thumbsup:

That is a neat idea, obviously not to everyone's taste, but that is alright. One of the best uses for a railroad spike I think I have seen.

The HC spikes make decent spearheads...quench in RT water, no tempering required. They are about 30 points carbon. You really need 60+ fpr a decent edge.

Rifleman1776 said:
We usually compliment. But, this time I'll be candid. It looks stupid to me.
A waste of a pretty handle.

Be as candid as you like. That is what we are here for. But,most people like them. Especially railroad employees. :)

Nifeman said:
Hey Stuart, did ya upset the spike before you hammered it? Looks good and it looks like a broad edge...Bud :thumbsup:

Bud, I upset to about an inch and a quarter square.

ok its been mentioned that some spikes have a different carbon content then others, SO HOW DO YOU TELL, iv'e worked for the RR for 37 years n never heard of this before ( course I never asked either haha)ya got me way curious
:idunno: :hmm: :confused:

There will be an H, or HC on the head. Of course that stands for high carbon, but it is really just highER carbon.

well Thank You good sir, I'll have to keep an eye out n check the heads out as I run across spikes not all buggered up already. Todays a great day, done learned me something new :wink:

Bird

look for the "HC" letters. They went to HC from iron when they went to automated spike setters. The plain iron spikes would bend when hit with the more powerful hydraulic hammers....so I've been told.

I dont like them for knives ... but I have made a few, I think they make better hawks. This one was done with the spike head being the cutting edge.
DSCN0616.jpg

banba.jpg

Darrel

Anvil!
That is a mighty fine looking hawk.
Nice work!

Cutshurt,
Nice work as well.
Several of my students in machine shop have made spike knives out of old railway spikes.
They do have a good ring to them, and hold a good edge.
These spikes are from CNR Canada
Old Ford

Ever since I saw my first rail road spike knife I have wanted one. They are cool looking. Great way to recycle something that is totaly reusable.

Those tomahawks are nifty as can be!

Back