• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Green Mountain Barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2647

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got the new Track catalog and they inserted a flyer about there stock of Green Mountain barrels limited to items in stock as Green Mountain had stopped production of black powder barrels. Didn't say if it was a temporary shut down. Nothing on the Green Mountain web site. :(

GMB barrels suck as of late I switched to Rice never looked back.
I had to send several back called and complained to no advail.

I like the 2 I have a ton, but I bought them over 5 years ago on the 62 smoothbore and the 32 I figure at least 12 years back? I recall it took a time to get the 32 barrel for the renegade. I was hoping they would make flintlocks again. what about them sucks?

I have two also, and they're great. One is a .54 Smooth that is 4-5yrs old and the other is a .22LR, so not applicable here, but both shoot great. Has their quality slipped or something and nobody told me til now? If they're still doing what they did when they made my two, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 3rd, or 4th, or...

I've never had a problem with all of the Green Mountain barrels I've bought although I've never bought one of the new drop in replacement barrels.

The bores and rifling have always been top notch although the rifling groove edges are always very sharp.

I will say that the GM barrels do have a pretty rough finish on the octagon but like all parts bought for building a muzzleloader that isn't unexpected. Some draw filing and that roughness is gone.

The breech threads were always cleanly cut and accurately made.

I'll admit that the Rice barrels with their well finished exteriors and almost mirror like bores rate higher than the GM barrels but to me that hardly makes the GM barrels "suck".

I hope they don't suck too bad because I just bought a 15/16 .54 rifle drop-in and a 1" rifle .58 drop-in. I will be sending them out to convert to flint without shooting them. Greenmountain boy; could you be a little more discriptive of the issues you had with them so perhaps I could spot the problems before I ship them? Send me a Privite Message if you would; thanks.

Yes, I have a GM barrel that is about a year old, so perhaps this falls into said category? I have yet to really put it through it's paces, was planning that for Father's Day weekend. Can you define what you mean by "suck"? What has lead you to that conclusion? I admit that they are not was well polished outside or inside as a Rice for example. Are you having grouping problems?

LD

I don't know about the temporary thing either; I recall someone who I respect concerning information in the hobby had called an they were told that when the drop-in barrels were gone they were gone for good. I heeded that advice and bought a couple because others praised the accuracy of the .58 in particular. They look fine to me but I have not shot them. :idunno:

Over the years, I owned / shot / hunted a total of 8 GM dop-in Flint barrels for the T/C Hawken...all were outstanding.
I did always change out their vent liners for the faster ones used by T/C, and the fit & finish on them was not quite as good as a T/C barrel but nothing significant...for example, if a T/C fit & finish was a 10, I'd rate the GM barrels I got at an 8...but they caused no problems and gave excellent accuracy & service.
That said, the last one I bought was made about 5-6 years ago now...can't speak to real recent production.

I have at least 7or 8 GM barrels, some drop in, some I bought raw and made rifles. The oldest from about 1985 and the newest when they had their $100 sale a yr. or two ago. I have barrels from most of todays makers and have found none more accurate than the GMs, just my exoerience, yours may vary.
Deadeye

GM drop in barrel's are very good,sometimes you need to adjust to your stock and lands are sharp. Otherwise problems with shooting tend to be the shooter. Like all good guns that won't shoot...it's the jerk behind the jerk. :) :)

Called Green Mountain last week and was told there were none in stock. Company is moving the tooling to another building. They expect to be back in production "in the fall". Suggested Midway, Track of the Wolf and Log Cabin Online. Log Cabin has one in stock that should be here tomorrow. (32" 1-70 twist 50cal Percussion T/C replacement). I purchased one of these for a T/C back in 1983. It still shoots 3" groups at 100 yards off the bench with target sights. Definitely does not suck.
G

hey akmike, don't know about the 32 but my 36cal on a renegade feels like it should have wheels on the front to roll it around. kinda like a wheelbarrow.

For my close range woods hunting, I settled on a load with just a moderate powder charge.

GM .58cal 1" x 32" Flint Barrel
100grns Goex 2F
.62cal Oxyoke prelubed wool wad
.018" precut / prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady .570" ball

I have had good luck with a .570 ball and cotton duck patches. I have used the stuff from wal-mart,its a thick patch but shoots real good. Also have good luck with tracks mink oil as a lube.

roundball said:
For my close range woods hunting, I settled on a load with just a moderate powder charge.

GM .58cal 1" x 32" Flint Barrel
100grns Goex 2F
.62cal Oxyoke prelubed wool wad
.018" precut / prelubed pillow ticking
Hornady .570" ball
My close-range, moderate .58 GM barrel load is 60 ro 70gr of FFg. :grin: (Recoil weenies have a different deffinition of "moderate".) :rotf:

Latest posts

Back