• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cracked stock on renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I went shooting today and got the load dialed in at 25 yards on the 62 rifled rebore Renegade. 90 of 3 f or 100 of 2 f goex one ragged hole. I may try 95 of 2f next time. I looked at the bolt that attaches the lock and said a few choice words when I saw a hairline crack. I will inspect this more closely with the magnifying glass but the question is this. Does TC still honor their warranty on Renegades since the rifle is no longer in production? I am going to call TC and find out but any one have experience with this. I figure worse case I will get a Pecatonica full stock if it totally fails and ditch the trigger guard.

Its a chronic problem on older T/C sidelocks...not just the Renegade...they'll replace it under lifetime warranty.

To prevent that, they cut a change into production several years ago where the front tang wood screw was replaced with a long tang bolt that goes down through and screws into the trigger guard to strengthen that whole region.

Call T/C Customer Service...they should take care of it no sweat

I still cannot determine if it is wood or just the finish that is cracked. Time will tell, I just hope the warranty is in place when I can tell for sure. Until then I will try for good groups at 50 yards. Free hand of course.

I would think the rebore job would void the warranty, hopefully not.
If it is cracked, maybe you could repair it with acraglas, and go ahead and drill and tap the guard and use a through bolt as described earlier.

Sinner said:

Yeah, IF it is a crack and IF you ask T/C to do a warrenty job (they should) I wouldn't mention that it's an aftermarket or modified barrel.

I really do not see how a through bolt through the wrist is going to strengthen the the lock bolt area.

junkman_01 said:
I really do not see how a through bolt through the wrist is going to strengthen the the lock bolt area.
The cracks start all the way at the back of the lock & trigger mortise...and the way T/C lays out a piece of walnut for the stock, the grain is running forward through the off side lock panel.
The crack flows forward with the grain and usually become most visible around the location of the lock bolt hole...but it doesn't start there.

With so much barrel weight extending out front on that half stock fore end, the entire front of the half stock puts strain on the weak areas hogged out for the lock & triggers.
The through bolt stops that whole region from flexing and evidently it corrected the chronic stock split problem so I'm guessing T/C got it right.

Sinner said:
If it is cracked, maybe you could repair it with acraglas, and go ahead and drill and tap the guard and use a through bolt as described earlier.

Agree with the warranty thing. Personally, I wouldn't consider it ethical to ask for a warranty replacement when you have modified the gun, especially with a bigger banger.
I prefer the use of pins for stock repair. They provide greater strength. With care they can be hidden but I feel repairs are part of the history of the gun and don't sweat them.
BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the gunsmith forum?

Rifleman1776 said:
Personally, I wouldn't consider it ethical to ask for a warranty replacement when you have modified the gun, especially with a bigger banger.
I feel this way about it also. TC stands behind "their guns" and I hope it remains so but abusing their trust is what has led to a new Hawken costing over $800. It's not free to fix 'em you know.

Enjoy, J.D.

Simply observing my own transactions with Thompson Center, I would bet they will NOT replace the stock if they know you rebored the barrel. Especially to a caliber they never offered.
However, I have know them to be one of the best, if not the best company, to make things “right” beyond their stated warranty. BTW, which now states to the original owner, only.

This warranty is granted by Thompson/Center Arms Company,Inc. This warranty, which shall last for the Lifetime of the original owner of any factory finished firearm, is established by the return
of the Thompson/Center Arms authorized warranty card within thirty (30) days of purchase of such firearm. With respect to such firearm, this warranty supersedes any and all other warranties.

Also...
Use of replacement parts, including but not limited to barrels and springs, other than Thompson/Center Arms factory or authorized
parts ”¦

Only a call to their customer service will tell the actual story.

jdkerstetter said:
Rifleman1776 said:
Personally, I wouldn't consider it ethical to ask for a warranty replacement when you have modified the gun, especially with a bigger banger.
I feel this way about it also. TC stands behind "their guns" and I hope it remains so but abusing their trust is what has led to a new Hawken costing over $800. It's not free to fix 'em you know.

I certainly agree with both of you guys. I personally have stopped asking for warranty service on 'used' rifles I buy. I feel that Thompson Center has been more than fair with me in the past. My personal feelings and I don't tell others what decision to make.
I did buy a new TC Hawken flintlock around five years ago before I knew of this forum. I bought it solely on the performance of my 1970's TC Hawken cap lock. Which has been a totally problem free rifle. And I suspect the vast majority of TC rifles are totally trouble free and do not require factory warranty service.
As to the rather high price tag now in the $800 dollar range, is it really out of reason? To folks on this forum, I imagine, yes it is. But to the greater majority of muzzle loader hunters, I am not so sure. If you ask that question to the average muzzle loader hunter, Thompson Center is usually the first name that comes up. At least in the circle I run around with. I believe TC would just as soon be totally out of the side lock business. You can't even find a new TC Hawken in stores. Almost every one is a special order as no one keeps them in stock.

roundball said:
Its a chronic problem on older T/C sidelocks...not just the Renegade...they'll replace it under lifetime warranty.

To prevent that, they cut a change into production several years ago where the front tang wood screw was replaced with a long tang bolt that goes down through and screws into the trigger guard to strengthen that whole region.

Call T/C Customer Service...they should take care of it no sweat

I am sorry to hear about the crack in the stock.You will likely have to take care of it yourself.

I spoke to TC a few weeks ago regarding a TC WMC that I picked up second hand with a very rough barrel. I was looking to see if they had a manual and I inquired about purchasing a replacement barrel and/or other parts if necessary. I was told that there are no parts and they don't service the sidelocks anymore.

They didn't have any manuals so he referred me to the online manual.

I was also told that the max load for the .50 TC WMC was 150g FFg under a maxiball so take that for wat it is worth. I was shocked so I had him double check.

Bob

Interesting and ethical and estetic points. I am not totally sure because it is thin as hair. This hairline crack could be wood or finish. I would think that the finish would be cracked if the wood was but the opposite seems to be the case. Maybe the grain is that way? Like the last post said they are "in transition" and not servicing. I have 2 other renegades and a 1 inch Hawken, so I am not out of a gun or anything. I do not know if anyone could see the hairline crack unless I pointed it out to them. I think that it is interesting that the WMC takes 150 g of powder with a maxi ball. That would rattle my teeth. I have never shot anything out of this gun like that.

buttonbuck said:
I think that it is interesting that the WMC takes 150 g of powder with a maxi ball.
Just another viewpoint...I personally don't believe "T/C's position" is that the little WMC that's been around for decades, now suddenly takes 150grn charges...sounds like a max charge for a modern inline that he quoted you.

What I think you got was somebody who really didn't know what they were talking about or misunderstood you on the phone or had a simple mental lapse and mis-spoke.

Unless T/C has totally revamped their published load data charts, there's not a T/C sidelock / caliber listed in their sidelock manual's load data charts that comes close to 150grn charge...120grns of Goex 2F is the max charge listed for anything.

After encountering a few mis-queues like that I stopped trusting whoever came to the phone, learned the names of the service manager and one old head that had been there with T/C forever, and only dealt with them.

Just my .02 cents...

roundball said:
buttonbuck said:
I think that it is interesting that the WMC takes 150 g of powder with a maxi ball.
Just another viewpoint...I personally don't believe "T/C's position" is that the little WMC that's been around for decades, now suddenly takes 150grn charges...sounds like a max charge for a modern inline that he quoted you.

What I think you got was somebody who really didn't know what they were talking about or misunderstood you on the phone or had a simple mental lapse and mis-spoke.

Unless T/C has totally revamped their published load data charts, there's not a T/C sidelock / caliber listed in their sidelock manual's load data charts that comes close to 150grn charge...120grns of Goex 2F is the max charge listed for anything.

After encountering a few mis-queues like that I stopped trusting whoever came to the phone, learned the names of the service manager and one old head that had been there with T/C forever, and only dealt with them.

Just my .02 cents...

The max charge I have found in the published load data is 110g FFg under a 270g Maxi. I didn't believe believe him and that is why I had him double check.

He didn't say anything about being in "transition" but he was just parroting what the computer in front of him had on the screen.

Bob

I agree I should have used less neutral language like wow that is nuts. I think I said I wouldn't shoot that. But wow. I callede them today and get the low down. They said they will still warranty the Renegade. I am going to read my old tc books and re read their warranty from the renegade I bought new and go from there. For what I have into the rifle I am already money ahead no matter what the outcome is.

buttonbuck said:
They said they will still warranty the Renegade.
And there'e no need to ship the entire rifle back...remove the barrel and lock, and just ship the stock assembly.
They had to replace 2 Hawken stocks for me over the years and they just take a complete new assembly off the shelf, with new furniture already installed, and ship that back.

Back