• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I finally upgraded to a flintlock. I got a .50 cal with a Siler lock and a GM barrel at Tip Curtis' tent at Fort Frederick. Mr. Curtis told me to use only 40-80 grains of 2F in it but I've read other posts where folks are using 3F in a GM barrel. I've been using 2F in it trying to find the magical combination of lube, patch and ball. Right now a .490 ball and pillow ticking with Slick Load does the best. I'm still experimenting.

I'll post a picture when I can, right now I can only get the link from Flickr to post.

Flintlocks are a whole lot of fun!

So,....

Did Tip actually build the gun? Inquiring minds want to know... :wink:

Tip Curtis' reputation is well known and respected. But he is an old timer like me. And many of us stick stubbornly to certain notions. I do on several fronts. During most of the years in the modern ml era it was almost a federal crime to use 3Fg in anything .50 caliber or over. As fine a builder and expert ml'er as he is, I'll venture he is still clinging to that concept. The use of 3Fg. is probably just fine in yer rifle.
OTOH, he may know something about yer rifle we don't. Part of the fun and insanity of this game is that some things work when others won't. It just might be yer rifle will do it's best work only with 2Fg. It is possible. Only way to find out is to spend time at the range shooting both. Do it at 50 yards from the bench and shoot for grouping. Keep notes on charges, powder, etc.

Shooey,

Congrats for entering the world of flintlocks. How long is the GM barrel? I built my flinter using a 42" straight octagon GM barrel in .50cal and I found 85gr 3F (Goex) to be an accurate load that I use for hunting. I get tight groups at 50yds using this load. For general plinking at 25-30yds I use 50gr 3F. From the bench I can make a ragged hole with this load (.490 ball / 0.015 patch) So, from my experience with a GM barrel, they shoot well with 3F. That being said, if you develop a spot-on load with 2F then you don't need to look any further.

Finally, at last you went flint. I guess I can now recall those two guys that were sent over to your house to make you a deal you can't refuse. You know the type; last names end in vowels. :v:

He may have been referring to target loads for the target range.
As one reference for you, I've used 90grns Goex 3F for PRB deer hunting loads in several .50cal T/C and GM barrels for many years now...most recent GM .50cal is this 42" barrel:

A00211011150calDickert8Pointer.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Yes, Tip built it, at least his name is on the barrel and I bought it from him. I've been looking at his rifles for a couple of years and decided it was time. It is a 42" swamped Green Mountain Barrel.

I appreciate the info on loads. The rifle did not come with a manual and I just want to stay below what is considered a max load. He indicated 80 grains of 2F as a max. I see some other folks are using up to 90 grains of 3f and that load must be stouter than 80 grains of 2F correct?

What can I consider as maximums for 2F and for 3F so I don't blow the thing up? The walls of the barrel are much thinner than on my GPR. And although the rifle is longer than the GPR it is lighter!

Welcome to the world of the rocklock. I've always heard great things about Tips guns so ENJOY :hatsoff:

Tip Curtis answered the question the day you bought the rifle.

You won't find anyone on this ML forum or any other forum with more experience.

15 years ago I bought a .50 caliber Lyman Trade rifle and when I asked Chuck Dixon about good hunting loads he said 50-70 grains 2f with a .490 ball. That is more than enough power to kill a white tail deer.

When I read a comment about 80 grains of powder for a target load I just have to wonder.

If you want to learn about flintlock shooting go to a woodswalk, go to a rondezvous, go to a local NMLRA shoot. Or just go to the range with Tip's recommendation and work it out.

Ditto here. Most of the guys I shoot with rarely exceed 50 grains in .50 cal guns at the range. I learned from them, and that seems like a good load. With that load, I can easily ring the 100+ yard gong at our woodswalk shoots. I recently bought a Pedersoli .45 for my 7 year old son. The previous owner recommended 80 grains! We found it shoots great with 30 grains, and it is easier on his 55 pound frame. It shoots so well at that load I could not imagine using 80.

Shooey said:
Thanks for the comments. Yes, Tip built it, at least his name is on the barrel and I bought it from him. I've been looking at his rifles for a couple of years and decided it was time. It is a 42" swamped Green Mountain Barrel.

I appreciate the info on loads. The rifle did not come with a manual and I just want to stay below what is considered a max load. He indicated 80 grains of 2F as a max. I see some other folks are using up to 90 grains of 3f and that load must be stouter than 80 grains of 2F correct?

What can I consider as maximums for 2F and for 3F so I don't blow the thing up? The walls of the barrel are much thinner than on my GPR. And although the rifle is longer than the GPR it is lighter!

Much heavier loads would probably be very safe in a well built rifle, such as yours.
But, that extra powder is not necessary. Work in that range of loads given for best accuracy then head to the woods. Enjoy.

Leo in PA said:
Tip Curtis answered the question the day you bought the rifle.

You won't find anyone on this ML forum or any other forum with more experience.

15 years ago I bought a .50 caliber Lyman Trade rifle and when I asked Chuck Dixon about good hunting loads he said 50-70 grains 2f with a .490 ball. That is more than enough power to kill a white tail deer.

When I read a comment about 80 grains of powder for a target load I just have to wonder.

If you want to learn about flintlock shooting go to a woodswalk, go to a rondezvous, go to a local NMLRA shoot. Or just go to the range with Tip's recommendation and work it out.

This is a composite of ten 1 shot targets at 60 yards fired with a 50 cal McLemore barrel in one of our plank rest "turkey" matchs. Load was 109 gr of FFF Swiss (weighed), a .018 ticking patch and a .495 ball, Schoultz method. Open sights. The last two sighters were also in the white spot that contains the "X". So of the last 12 shots 8 would have hit a nickel or probably a dime centered over the "X".
Flintlockcompositegroup.jpg

This is the rifle and targets.
P1030529.jpg

This was a string measure match and the string for 10 shots was 4.087 even with shot 5 being out due to a goofed read of the wind.

The maker uses a .500 ball, similar patch and 120 gr of FFF Swiss to do accuracy.
The barrels are made of GB quality 4150, virtually the same steel Miltary small arms and machinegun barrels are made from.
90 grains fff has been my standard starting load for 50s for decades and most barrels shoot very well with it from 48" to 70" twist.
I had a 54 years ago that simply would not shoot under about 4-5" at 50 yards with less than 120 gr of Goex. The group size magically tightened going up from 110 to 120 and thats what I hunted with.
If the barrel is of poor quality steel and/or is poorly breeched etc, then the shooter has to make a decision for himself concerning suitability.
GM ML barrels are 1137 GB quality and withstood modern smokeless pressures in testing with BPCRs years ago. But most or all makers of BP cartridge rifles now use 4150-4140 for these its being the industry standard.

So the load needs to be what the barrel wants. Not what someone's preconceived notion of what is acceptable might be. But it requires work at the range to get a firm hold on what works.
With a round ball there is little chance of blowing out nipples or vent liners and modern BARREL STEELS, are strong enough to tolerate loads in the 1/2 ball weight category and this is going to be close to the best load for most hunting rifles though some like less some more.
In hunting rifle power is not so important as a flat trajectory and higher velocity, 1800-2000 in a 50 caliber, produces a flat enough trajectory that the hunting rifle can be zeroed to 110-120 yards and will be in the deers kill zone from zero to 130-140 yards. If zeroed at 50 yards by 110 it will be hopelessly low and require calculations to get the ball back up where it needs to be.
While people in the east who hunt from tree stands or blinds and shoot at archery ranges may not need this capability its a good thing to have in many situations. I have a friend who shot and hunted with an original Hawken who said it appeared to be "on" at 150 plus.

Dan

The hunting load for my 42" swamped Green Mountain barreled .54 is 85 grains 2f Goex. Killed a whitetail buck quartering towards me at 30 yards; ball entered front shoulder and stopped just under the hide (which was bulged out)along the ribs opposite side. Offhand practice/range load is 50 grains 3f Goex.

As others have said, Tip Curtis knows what he is talking about.

Despite my tendency to try to accomplish the most with the least, I hunted for years using 100grns 3F in .50s, 80grns 3F in .45s and 110grns in my .54. All these loads would really shoot! With my .50 EV and a Pedersoli I easily made two killing shots on whitetails around the 100 yard distance. Of all the ML kills all, except three, were under 50yds with an average I'd estimate to be something like 25-30 yards. For this reason my deer loads will be lighter but not too much lighter due to large bears where I hunt. Accuracy is surely the bottom line.

Dan, that is good shooting! I'm getting two inch, three shot groups at 50 yards off the bench. I've been experimenting with patches and lubes, keeping the load consistent. Soon I'll start varying the load with the same patch and lube and see where that leads me.

Here is a picture of the rifle, hopefully the link works: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79940831@N03/7342830780/

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the term "plank rest turkey shoot" indicate you are shooting from a rest? Is the distance always 60 yards?

All my competitive shooting with a flintlock is done offhand. I'd say 90% of the targets at events I've attended are 50 yards and under with a few more targets stretching out to 100 yards. I don't need large powder charges to hit those targets.

At a woodswalk or line shoot offhand shooting technique and regular practice will result in higher scores than the flat trajectory you achieve with heavy powder loads.

There are enough variations in this game for everyone to make their own choices. The game you enjoy is different from the one I enjoy.

Tip Curtis made a recommendation to the original poster. I'd start with that if I were in the same situation.

I bought a Tip Curtis rifle that looks identical to the picture you posted. Mine is Colerain swamped barrel, Siler lock. Tip does a great job inletting the barrel, lock, trigger etc. Everything on my rifle fits perfect. The gun shoots better than any rifle I own, with the exception of my 36 Seneca T/C. I wish I could post a picture. I'll get my son-in-law the computer guru to show me.

Looking at your target which is great there are some hard to figure shots off, way off the X.
I bet you do not weigh out your lead balls.

Just a thought.

Dutch who probably is posting too much but I only figured out (sorta) how to navigate in the forum.

Back