• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"smoking" Horn...Bone...Antler !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just did my first "smoking" of Horn and Bone. I smoked it with saw dust for about 20 minutes. It gave the Powder horn and "Deer Leg" Apple corer a nice old look. What do you think of how it looks ! I wood waxed them after it cooled. Thanks Jeff

Smoke1.jpg

Smoke2.jpg

Smoke4.jpg

Smoke5.jpg

Smoke6.jpg

I like the yellowing effect from smokin much better than some of the dying jobs I've seen. nice work

Thanks....They way I see it...Back in old times most of what they had was exposed to a bunch of .."smoke" ! So this seems the way to go to get the look. Plus its real easy to do. Jeff

:bow: I have considered any number of ways to antique bone and horn items. Never even thought of smoking. :doh: The horn and corer have a wonderful "soft" antique look. Good job :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
Ed

Jeff, Here is some examples of cold smoking horn using different types of wood and time in smoker to show the many different color tones that can be done with different woods.

Cold smoked in American walnut (2 hours)
DarkAgedCarvedPowderHorn1730Styling.jpg

Smoked in rotten Cottonwood pulp (1 hour)..Note each horn takes on a slight different color tone.
DSC00575.jpg

Spout only in Cottonwood smoke as above for about 45 minutes....Then spout antique aged.
DSC00304.jpg

Hickory and Maple mixed chips smoke (1 hour 15 minutes).
IMG_1338.jpg

the difference in color - aside from wood/time- has to do with the original color of the horn or just each horn takes the color differently?
I'm liking the way the "American walnut" and the "Hickory maple" mix came out! :thumbsup:

..plus I love the smell too ! Horne75 Very nice work on horn !

I just use the saw and sanding dust from same wood I use on horn.

Here's my Horn "smoker" Its just a 5 gallen metal bucket with cast iron pan for saw dust. Simple ..but it works good. Just be careful not to get hot (very low heat..maybe a electric hotplate would be better)

DSC09397.jpg

DSC09398.jpg

I hang horn up at top with wire.

Looks great...any deer would be proud to get shot by a ML loaded with powder from that horn !
:thumbsup:

thanks for the post- now i understand how the deal goes down ... looks pretty cool - i'll have to give it a try.

Back