• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Powder for flash pan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Costa

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Will 3f powder work in a flash pan? I have several cans of Goex 2F and 3f for several rifles and pistols but no 4f. I was given a 45 cal flintlock that I will not be shooting much and did not want to spend $23 on a one pound can of 4F.

Thanks, Frank

maximo said:
Will 3f powder work in a flash pan? I have several cans of Goex 2F and 3f for several rifles and pistols but no 4f. I was given a 45 cal flintlock that I will not be shooting much and did not want to spend $23 on a one pound can of 4F.

Thanks, Frank

And if you want to make 3F granulation smaller like the size of 4F, fill a 35mm film canister half full of 3F, drop in a lead ball, hold the cap on tight and shake it vigorously for 10-15 seconds, etc

While high speed (5000 frames/sec ) photos show a difference. Most shooters cannot tell the difference. The only reason I use FFFF is I am a klutz and use a smaller priming horn so I don't spill powder all over. :idunno:

3f will work as well as 4f I have streamlined my operation, I now use 3f for every thing. .50,.54 my pistols. Priming and main charge with a good fast lock and vent it has worked for me.

maximo said:

Thanks, Frank

Hey, Frank. Frank here. This is a subject that will never reach unaminous agreement with everyone. I can tell a notable difference in ignition time between 2Fg and 3Fg. I cannot detect a difference between 3Fg and 4Fg unless I overprime with the 3 then it does take a moment to burn down. I use 4Fg almost exclusively because I'm old and stubborn, I have a lot on hand, and it meters from a brass priming valve (3fg won't) and is easier to use. If you try priming with 3Fg from a can or horn you will over prime and spill. That's a fact of life.

I prime with 4F because I have plenty but when I've primed with 3F I couldn't tell any difference.

3f will work fine, i used 2f a few days ago and it worked fine as well. Although i use 4f. When i run out i may just get 3f for main powder charge and pan charge.

up in the pac north wet one rondy the trail walk was down in the trees with skeeters buzzin round. 4f turned to goo so i primed with 3f and it went boom just fine. find here your gun ants the prime and use as little as possible.

:v I always prime with what I'm shooting when hunting, works fine.4F will turn to goo in high humidity even in a clean dry pan. I prime from the horn and don't worry if a little spills. :v

3F primer works fine in my smaller bore guns and 2F primer works fine in Bess. Use what you have and don't worry about the need for 4F.

Many Klatch

4F and its finer cousin Null B are used by the top target shooters who can sense lock time and flash consistencies in finely tuned locks.

The rest of us mortals can get along very well with 3 F. :grin:

For the first 6 or 7 years since I got into flinters, I never saw 4 F and used 3 F for prime with no problem whatsoever at the range or hunting. I just recently, last year in fact, bought a can 4 F to try and I mainly use it for range sessions. I still prefer to use 3 F for prime while hunting.

2571 said:
How do you find a 35mm film cannister these days?
If you know what a 35mm film cannister is, you probably have one in the back of drawer somewhere in your house.

I wish I knew that 3Fg works for priming before I bought 2 pounds of 4Fg. I know from painful experience that Pyrodex P doesn't work at all!

i concur with the overall consensus. unless you're a really skilled target shooter (i'm not, never was, and with declining visual acuity and decreasing available time, never will be) you don't need 4F to prime.

i only use it because, as with so many others, I was told by an 'expert' that if i didn't get some, my rifle would never shoot.

mumble mumble, something about the nut behind the butplate.

now i use whatever i'm shooting as a main charge.

give it a try, and in so doing,

Make good smoke!

I can most definately tell the difference between 3F and 4F in my pan. My targets can also tell the difference. BUT for hunting here in the wet 3f works just fine and the deer, elk dont know the difference when hit with a PRB!!!FRJ

Back