• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Lyman GP 1-32" .50 roundballs OK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trench said:
Kentuckywindage said:
get you some .018 patches " blue-white stripe" .490 round balls and 70gr goex or pyrodex rs. :hatsoff:

My father shoots 70gr of FFFg Goex and a .020 patch with this rifle and has had groups with all the holes touching at 50 yards.

I'll try some FFF tomorrow.hadn't thought of trying that.
my blue white ticking is closer to .015 when washed.

George

Ok last target picture.Decided to try Pyrodex "p"

50g did good.I lost shot #3 low so i decided to shoot 10.I am pretty happy with my new roundball gun.

George
PICT1959.jpg

I want to add to this. A few years ago I was given a CVA mountain stalker with a 1 in 32" twist. I figured that it would not shoot PRB's but I tried any way and- cut down the charge. Same thing -to my surprise- good groups out to 50 yards. Fine for target practice, etc.

worked up to 80g of Pyro "P" today and groups size unchanged.In fact they may be just a bit smaller @ 80g than the 50g charge.Two of the 5 shot groups at 50 had four into 3/4" with one of the shot "spoiling" it to about 1.5".I also shot the same 80g charge with Triple Seven FFF and it was about the same.

George

Last edited by a moderator:
That sezz it all, doesn't it: Try it for yourself.

Internet experts know all about keyboards and darned little about your gun, your components and your methods.

Pyrodex P isn't supposed to work. You should be using 2f rather than 3f. Fast twists won't shoot round balls well.

Easy to pass off blarney on a keyboard, but fortunately it's just as easy to disprove it. :applause:

learned someting today-

I only had 5 .495 balls so i used .490's.With the 80g Pryo P and blue ticking patch groups was over 3" with the smaller balls.Loading was easier but not so much so that is was night and day.I dug up 5 .495's and shot the 5 on the right side(typ. group).Since i only had .490's left to shoot offhand i dropped the load back to 50g and they shot about 2"I didn't get down range fast enough to sort the patches as there were others shooting.But none of them were cut or burned.

PICT1963.jpg

That pretty well lines up with my experience, though I was using .530 and .535 in 54 cal.

I'm curious if you've dinked around with different lubes. I had been using an assortment of liquids with mediocre results, but things really tightened up when I switched to grease, either my deer tallow/olive oil blend or TOW Mink Oil Grease.

BrownBear said:
That pretty well lines up with my experience, though I was using .530 and .535 in 54 cal.

I'm curious if you've dinked around with different lubes.

yes saliva and also olive oil (i had to try it as i am half eye-talian).Olive Oil wouldn't keep an 8" group at 50 yard and saliva was about the same as Hoppes 9+.The olive oil patches really drug down the bore and were hard to load.The saliva was with Goex FF not the Pyrodex.the O-Oil was with both powders.I'll have to try out the ones you suggested.

bumped it to 100g of Pyrodex RS today.At 100 yards the first on went low and was sort of slow ignition(I forgot to swab the oil out from last time out GRIN)I then fired the 10 shots above.I moved over to another bull and shot the fist 4 into under 2" and then shot #5 went right but the groups was still 2-1/2"I then moved to 50 yards and fired the last 5 shot into a touch over 1".
I am pretty pleased.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/LINOWW/PICT1966.jpg
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/LINOWW/PICT1964.jpg

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h352/LINOWW/PICT1965.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually checked the rate of twist to make sure it wasn't mismarked a Great Plains Hunter model.I am tempted to put my Lyman peep sight on it as these 46 year old eyes are starting to have trouble with barrel sights.

George

I have the same vision problem. I installed a Lyman target sight on the front and a Lyman receiver on the rear. Kinda pricy but I can see these sights. Don't understand the science but I think the hood around the front bead makes it easier to see. Group size was cut in half.

KV Rummer said:
I have the same vision problem. I installed a Lyman target sight on the front and a Lyman receiver on the rear. Kinda pricy but I can see these sights. Don't understand the science but I think the hood around the front bead makes it easier to see. Group size was cut in half.

I have the same set up on my TC 54.I may go that route eventually but for now its fun to shoot decent with open sights.

George

Latest posts

Back