• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck Ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmeredith

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I bought a flintlock off the NMLRA classifieds. The ramrod is stuck in the pipe. I screwed a T-handle on the end and tugged......Nothing No play in it at ALL. I then got a buddy to hold while I pulled. NOthing. I then apllied torque and pulled. The ramrod snapped. Still no play what so ever. Can a ramrod pipe be removed if the rifle is disassembled? How would you guys approach this problem? Thanks

Mark Meredith

PS. Anyone know a good builder/gunsmith in SW Ohio?

I would also contact the seller and inform them of the problem. It seems impossible the previous owner was not aware of a problem like this. It will probably do no good but he will know you know he is (possibly) a liar and cheat.

Can a ramrod pipe be removed if the rifle is disassembled?
Yes. The rod may have swollen due to moisture. If so, it was not prepared correctly during initial construction. The other scenario I could see is if it is one of the styles where the thimbles are srewed to the stock from the inside of the barrel channel. The screw could have been over-tightened and run through into the rod. If there are pins that go through the stock above the thimbles, then that is not the case. If it is a pinned thimble, I would take that out, flex the rod away from the stock and block it in place, and saw it off behind the thimble. Put something between the saw and the stock so a slip doesn't mess up the stock.

Mark,

I had a ramrod stock in a gun I received. It got jammed into the stock during shipping. It actually broke between the pipes. The long piece was stuck, jammed into the lower fore stock. I was able to pull it free with pliers.
I suspect yours is jammed into the wood. I would be patient with and try to work at it daily.

I wonder if a natural oil like canola or olive oil would help free it? :hmm:

What ever you do you do not want to swell the wood.

Attrition, a little each day may be the only way to get it out. Tap a little pull a little each day. Never getting to the breaking point.

If it is jammed in the lower forestock dis assembly is not going to help much.

If it is indeed stuck in the pipes , you could pull the pins and remove them and the rod.

Another option is to send it back and or claim damage in shipping.

54ball said:
Mark,

I wonder if a natural oil like canola or olive oil would help free it? :hmm:

What ever you do you do not want to swell the wood.

And that's exactly what you would do if you tried to soak it with oil. :wink:

If the rod is stuck in the wood of the forearm, then just set the gun inside in a dry, air conditioned room (don't set it right next to the vent, though), and let the thing dry out for a few days.

If worse comes to worse, it can be drilled out.

Swelling is a possibility. And, I agree, the rod was not made properly.
It is common practice with me and new ramrods to taper them to fit easily into the stock. I guess I have done it so many times I don't stop to consider doing this might not be the norm with others. I am fortunate to have a lathe that does the turning. But, for many years I just used a corded hand drill fastened at one end (vice, duct tape, makeshift clamp, whatever) chucked the rod and held the other end with sandpaper in my hand. While spinning I run the sandpaper back and forth with more time at the end so the rod tapers eventually. Can take some time but is often a necessity. BTW, in museums if the original wiping stick is still present you will see they (all?) are tapered. And, yes, it can be done with a scraping using a knife blade and no lathe or drill involved.
I know, that doesn't solve yer current problem but may help to avoid it happening again.

What kinda rifle is this?

Have you removed the barrel?

I've seen some precarves where the ramrod channel is partially exposed under the barrel....wouldn't buy one like this myself, then I won't buy another precarve.

If it is use the hair dryer there to speed things up as more surface area will be exposed.

Good Luck, J.D.

If:
(A) the front lock bolt removal doesn't help, and
(B) letting it dry out in the house for a week doesn't help, and
(C) You don't have a long shaft drill bit
there is another possibility to try, or at least I would.

And if you've never done it you'll want to read up on the steps involved which are typed and can be sent to you...prudent to read the dos & don't first so not to damage anything.
And that is...assuming this is a pinned barrel...unpin the barrel, removed the tang bolt and lift out / remove the barrel.

There's a chance that the ML was built using a router down in the barrel bed from behind the entry pipe to the front lock bolt area. And if so, the last 8-10" of ramrod will be laying right there exposed in view at the bottom of the barrel bed.

It should be an easy matter to then use a light hammer and punch at an angle engaged into the exposed ramrod and start tapping the rod forward towards the muzzle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so you guys know, or you may have assumed, I am in Roundballs "lead box" since day one here and he can't "hear" me. :shake:

I don't mind....in fact I'm honored. :grin:

Enjoy, J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand it's too crowded in this box for an echo.... :)

I hope the OP comes back and tells us what he's got going on here.

J.D.

Place a old bottle in some kind of container and give it a whack. That will leave you with a nice assortment of scrapes. I've used these on every thing from gun stocks to hoe handles. Just got to be carefull cause this stuff don't come with handles.

Guys,

Thanks for the input. Right after I posted the question, I had to drop what I was doing and run out to the Baltimore area for a couple of weeks. The gun is in Ohio and I can't apply any of your suggestions. To answer some of the posts, it is a hand built rifle, builder unknown. .50 cal flintlock. Looks a lot like a 1750's Bucks County Pennsylvania rifle.

Thanks for getting back to us.

If you left it in an area of the house with low humidity you may be lucky and be able to pull it right out when you get home.

Have a safe trip, J.D.

Mark Meredith said:
Guys,

Thanks for the input. Right after I posted the question, I had to drop what I was doing and run out to the Baltimore area for a couple of weeks. The gun is in Ohio and I can't apply any of your suggestions. To answer some of the posts, it is a hand built rifle, builder unknown. .50 cal flintlock. Looks a lot like a 1750's Bucks County Pennsylvania rifle.

Wow, what does a 1750's Bucks County rifle look like? Would love to see it.

Back