• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TOTW graver question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illuveatar

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've decided to begin training in the art of engraving. I already have a few push palm gravers of various sizes and have engraved a few crude letters and patterns (I'm not about to show any of these off so don't ask)

I don't have the funds to buy an engraving system, nor am I interested in getting any of that stuff. Hammer and chisel will be fine for now. I've ordered a crocker sharpening fixture, I have a medium/fine grit sharpening stone, a chasing hammer and at the suggestion of someone on this site I'm about to order the Beginning Engraving DVD by Jack Brooks from Track of the Wolf.

I figure that while I'm making an order through TOTW I should also get some square gravers through them and bundle shipping fees (unless someone knows of a better graver at a decent price).

Sorry for all the buildup, I'm just trying to let you guys know where I stand at the moment. My question is what size square graver on TOTW's website correspond to 3/32", they list their gravers in sizes from 1 to 5 but don't give the actual dimensions. I contacted TOTW regarding this about 5 days ago and haven't received a response.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, guides or other words of wisdom for a beginner I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, I'm also planning on making a brass graver handle out of bar stock to use with my chasing hammer. I'll make it to fit 3/32" gravers, drill and tap a hole in the side for a set screw to hold the graver in place. Any thoughts or suggestions on this ?

If you want a quick response from TOTW about stuff in their catalog or online call them directly.

Addendum:

I've also purchased a 16lb bowling ball which I plan on modifying to use as an engraving block. Does anyone have any experience in making a bowling ball rig ?

My current plan calls for slicing a plane into the ball and mounting a machinist vise. What type of surface should I place the ball on ? I was thinking coarse leather would hold it in place but still allow for easy movement when I'm changing positions.

Just to be clear, my intention is not to learn to do high art engraving. I just want to do some simple bordering and scroll work on the brass parts and the lockplate of the gun I'm going to be building.

Look up the Lynton Mckenzie videos, that's how I learned to engrave.Well, I actually took classes from him when he was living.....

illuveatar said:
What type of surface should I place the ball on ?

the ball vise I bought came with what amounts too a hard plastic or rubber lawn mower/dolly/push cart wheel like I've seen at Lowes. Cheap and effective.

The Lynton Mckenzie set of 3 DVD's are sold at Brownell's for $180. I'll keep it in mind but I'd have to save my pennies for a while. I just spent all the money I could muster on $600 in gun parts with which I'll be making a $400 gun.

Although I just got an email from a Nigerian courier who says he's got a package worth 3.5 million which I inherited from my great granduncle (Don't remember reading about an uncle Obafami in my genealogy books :confused: ). So after I send them my SS, photo ID and $5,000 for transfer fees I'll be all set.

illuveatar said:
I just spent all the money I could muster on $600 in gun parts with which I'll be making a $400 gun.

Ain't that the truth. :rotf: Been there done that. :hatsoff:

Enjoy, J.D.

Go Go Go!

You're going to pass me as I have been working on the same rifle for 3 years. I get it out rub it and put it back. Today I finished a proper work bench.

There is no reason you cannot make a fine rifle. Go slow and post often. It is best to post before you make errors.

As far as engraving...in which I have no experience, I think it would be best to study original work and try to replicate it on sheets of brass. Look at magnified work and try to replicate it. Basically self teach yourself by trial and error at least until you can get some instruction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you can rent those DVDs, if you check around the net. The Lynton McKenzie DVDs will teach you a lot, and he kept the tooling inexpensive, and basic.

Mike Brooks said:
Look up the Lynton Mckenzie videos, that's how I learned to engrave.Well, I actually took classes from him when he was living.....

You knew Lynton Mc? :applause:
I spent an afternoon with him once. Incredible experience. He was an exceptional craftsman.

I'll keep looking around for those DVDs. I've got a few sheets of brass and steel to practice on and plenty of pictures to use as inspiration for designs.

If you are considering DVDs, do not overlook Keith Casteel's 2 disk set. He is a master contemporary builder, and a great engraver. The 2 DVDs include lighting, tools, tempering and design transfer along with detailed engraving instruction.

Contact him directly at:

[email protected]

or 304-379-8309

illuveatar said:
I'll keep looking around for those DVDs. I've got a few sheets of brass and steel to practice on and plenty of pictures to use as inspiration for designs.

You'll find the DVD rentals here . In the upper right hand corner type engraving into the search box. Just know that these outfits are not paying the royalties for the materials like if you were to purchase them outright.

Probably the most important thing that you could do to improve your chances at sucess is to put pencil to paper and draw, if you can draw it you can cut it.

IMG_2293.jpg

illuveatar said:
I've decided to begin training in the art of engraving. I already have a few push palm gravers of various sizes and have engraved a few crude letters and patterns (I'm not about to show any of these off so don't ask)

I wouldn't hesitate to show my first attempts around these guys, fella. Shoot, a harelip retard can do better work than most of us, and our experts are always ready to help the apprentices.

I would like to try it too and seeing the work of a newbie would be a learning experience for me too.

What tools did you buy to get started?

"I've also purchased a 16lb bowling ball which I plan on modifying to use as an engraving block. Does anyone have any experience in making a bowling ball rig ?"

A short section of 6"-8" diameter pipe a couple of inches long. Smooth the top that the ball sits on so that it turns smoothly and doesn't cut into the ball. Weld it to a plate or add some angle clips so that you can bolt or clamp it down. You may have to buy a coupling to get what you need unless you are very lucky. I was the shop foreman in a large structural shop and we would usually give a person what they needed for a project like this or tell them to bring back some doughnuts for the guys IF we had a reasonable length drop in the yard. Of course there was no way we would send someone out into the yard with a lift to bring in 10'-20' of this material, clean off the rolls and run it through the saw as a favor.

I have yet to make my own, but I watched one being used and it was sitting on an 8" or so rubber lawnmower tire...allowed it to move to any position easily and the rubber seemed to hold it steady...

I just epoxy my work to a piece of 2x4 and clamp it in my vise, do on the gun, or clamp it in the vise with soft pine blocks. As you see, my tools are very basic, and cost almost nothing. My Crocker jig was a gift, but is very worn.

pennyknife181_640x480.jpg

pennyknife192_640x480.jpg

pennyknife426_640x480.jpg

I've been to a few engraving sites and forums recently. Most folks make it seem like you need to spend a couple thousand dollars on tools in order to do quality work. Seeing your work and the tools you use has reaffirmed my feeling that it is both unnecessary and also cumbersome to use all those fancy devices.

Also, I feel like using anything other than a hammer and chisel wouldn't really be appropriate on a flintlock. GRS and Lyndsey setups are probably great but using them on a piece of 400 year old technology is an unsavory juxtaposition.
Seems like it wouldn't jive well with the Zen of gunsmithing.

Back