• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cushion wads for RB ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have read that some people use an O/P wad, then a fiber wad, then a patched RB in their smoothbores.
What benefit is there in using a fiber wad under a patched RB?
I understand the use in shooting shot, but not with patched RB.
Just curious of the pros and cons.

I started using a leather over powder wad years ago and find they reduce patch burning and improve groups. I started with simply folding a cloth patch to use, but since I had a lot of leather scraps and can make punches I switched to the leather patches for consistancy.

Vearl said:
I have read that some people use an O/P wad, then a fiber wad, then a patched RB in their smoothbores.
What benefit is there in using a fiber wad under a patched RB?
In my rifles, I used to use a simple 1/8" Oxyoke prelubed wool wad (Oxyoke Wonderwad) over powder as a firewall to ensure there was no patch failure from the fire of large hunting powder charges of 3F.

In trying that same thing for PRBs in smoothbores, I found I'd get an occasional flyer and changed my PRB combo to use a thicker patch and no longer have any need for an OP wad with a PRB.

I cut fiber wads in half and use them under my smoothbore round balls. Basically allows me to use a thinner than normally used patch for easier loading. Tried it one day when my gun wasn't grouping as well as I liked and they tightened up my groups nicely! So I've been using them ever since. :thumbsup:

When I first shot PRB in a smooth bore there was no info available to me as to how it was being done. Without giving it much thought, since I was shooting a double-barrel shotgun, I loaded just as I did for shot, hard card, cushion wad, PRB, and had excellent results. I've continued to do it that way most of the time. I also shoot a fair amount with hard card, cushion wad, bare ball, thin OS card. That very nearly gives me the same accuracy, so that makes me think the card+cushion wad is doing something good.

Here are the very first two targets I ever shot with PRB in a smooth bore, from a 20-gauge flint double, front bead only.

Phillips_right.jpg

Phillips_left.jpg

You can see why I have kept doing it that way. Using my single-barrel flint smoothbore loaded the same way, no rear sight, I've shot 3 1/2" groups at 75 yards, so I expect I'll keep doing it.

I don't know why it works so well for me. I suspect it has to do with getting a better gas seal, but don't know how to prove that.

I'll have to confess I've been so pleased doing it this way I've never given simply a PRB over powder a fair test.

A happy side benefit for me is that the lubed cushion wad helps keep the bore clean, I rarely have to wipe it in a hunting situation.

Spence

Whilst not as outstanding as Spence's double my recently aquired 12g double was struggling with just a patch. I too added a fiber wad before the PRB and it shoots much better with less fliers.

All scorching on the patches were gone!

Brits

I also use a 1/2" cushion wad under the prb in my smoothbore. The gun groups better than with straight patched ball.

Well... just call me an old slow man. I always use a cloth wad or an O/P card under my PRB.
Never thought a fiber wad would do better than a cloth wad.
You all have given me another reason to go back to the range. Wife sees the need in writing, she usually says ok. :thumbsup:

Planning to go back to the range tomorrow myself, with the .54cal smoothbore...in the past my experimenting had been with 1/8" Oxyoke wool wads which caused the occasional fliers I mentioned.

But tomorrow I'll take a few Circle Fly 1/2" fiber cushion wads...they're much firmer and won't curve up around a ball like a thin Oxyoke wool wad might have been doing, so there should be less (or no) chance of an "edge blowout" right at muzzle exit.

Will see if I can tell any difference and report back FWIW...

Last edited by a moderator:
roundball said:
Planning to go back to the range tomorrow myself, with the .54cal smoothbore...

05/16/12 Range Trip

42" x .540" Rice smoothbore barrel / Virginia
70grns Goex 3F target load
Oxyoke .022" patch
Cast .520" ball

Saw no difference in accuracy with or without the addition of a Circle Fly 1/2" fiber cushion wad.

roundball said:
roundball said:
Planning to go back to the range tomorrow myself, with the .54cal smoothbore...

05/16/12 Range Trip

42" x .540" Rice smoothbore barrel / Virginia
70grns Goex 3F target load
Oxyoke .022" patch
Cast .520" ball

Saw no difference in accuracy with or without the addition of a Circle Fly 1/2" fiber cushion wad.
The retrieved fiber wads from my 12g have wrapped around the ball!.

B :hatsoff:

Vearl said:
Well... just call me an old slow man. I always use a cloth wad or an O/P card under my PRB.
You all have given me another reason to go back to the range. Wife sees the need in writing, she usually says ok. :thumbsup:

My 58 with some light linen patches I have has a backing patch down first!

B.

Vearl said:

My 58 uses a backing patch when I use a particular thin linen for patches to protect the thin/light linen.

B.

Not surprised you didn't see a difference using that thick of a patch. They have helped me shoot accurately using a much thinner patch.

hanshi said:
I believe our own Bob Spencer uses a cushion under his prb in his smoothbore, IIRC.
I do. I also pre-lubricate them lightly with a mixture of melted lard and beeswax, so they wind up being not quite as hard as when dry. I load them hard end first, usually, don't find any difference if I load them the other way.

BallLoadcopy.jpg

Spence

Swampy said:
Not surprised you didn't see a difference using that thick of a patch.
That's what I figured...and that patch gives it a good snug fit...I don't have to hammer it in, just a short starter...but there's definitely no windage around the ball...LOL

I don't get it either. I experiment with just the patch thickness and ball diameter.I like 7 or 8 thou compression around the ball,depending on the gun; up to 10 thou compression. That's where my smoothies really start to perform. Too much fitzky ditsky with wads and felts and such.Loose patch,and you'll be swabbing as much as shooting.Not for me.
I shoot 50 to 60 shots and no wiping all day. I clean up at home.

When I first got my 20 ga French trade gun, I tried fiber wads of various thickness over the powder when I shot PRB. Results were disappointing. Eliminated the fiber wad, switched to a slightly smaller ball and a slightly thicker patch. Consistency went way up.

I think we already discussed it but I use a wonder wad over the powder and over the ball it's lube is beeswax and olive oil.,Like Spence said saw little reason to change 'cause accuracy was good.Did read about all the PRB things noted here ..tried it and the only thing I noticed was harder loading :doh: ,the groups were not any better for my gun. YMMV

Latest posts

Back