• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need Help ASAP if I am to shoot for first time tomorrow...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FMarion

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I wish I was able to upload picture at the moment but I cant.

I bought CCI #11 caps for my new rifle, but they do not fit :confused: . I am not sure if I need some sort of bigger cone/nipple, or if I am actually missing it :idunno: . From the looks of it, what is there has no threads on the inside, and the base of the outside has two somewhat flat sides that I have noticed on pictures of replacement nipples, so I am assuming this is it's. I can put the cap on top of this, but it is the exact some size, or actually a tinny bit smaller than the nipple. I do not know if perhaps I need a larger cap that I am not aware of, and I only see #10s and #11s advertised, and I read that #10s are smaller than #11s. I am really agitated :cursing: as I was so looking forward to shooting, and shooting this rifle, for the firs time tomorrow. If anyone could please give me some advise I would highly appreciate it. For reference, this is a .50 cal T/C Percussion Pennsylvania Match Rifle. Thank you very much in advance...

if this is a used rifle perhaps the nipple is flared by dry firing, you mention the caps are just a little small.If so perhaps using a small file to round out the nipple tip a bit. I had to do this after about 5-6 tins of caps. just replacing the nipple is what I expect you will hear here a lot and that would be the easiest but you prob cant get a new nipple by morning so try the file

It is indeed used :( As for size, I am guessing here, but Im going to throw out, half a cm? Mmmmmmaybe a tad more? As from dry firing, I just dont know, it really looks like this is how it is manufactured. I am trying to figure out how to post pics so I can show you guys. I just signed up for premium.

It sounds as though your rifle has a musket nipple on it FMarion. If so, you will need musket caps. Or you can change to a nipple that uses #11 caps.

The musket nipple is on the left. Regular #11 nipple on the right.

Nipples.jpg

As you can see, the musket caps on the right are considerably larger than #11's.

Caps.jpg

YES, it very much looks like the musket nipple. Even the same color lol. I am suspecting that these caps are not easy to find off the shelf?

Its always something, especially when your excited about something lol. I wonder if where I bought the caps from, if they'll have them, or even if the range I wanted to go to will have them in their "Pro Shop". I was planning on heading to this range by me called Long Island Shooting Range in Brookhaven.

Most gun shops that sell muzzleloading accessories should have a #11 nipple for your T/C. If there is a Bass Pro shop near you they should have some.
Get a nipple wrench too if you don't already have one.
Put a small amount of anti-seize or lube on the threads and don't over-tighten. Snug is good. Too tight is not.
Have fun, shoot straight, and be safe. :hatsoff:

I've never heard of the TC model you have but I would be surprised if it is threaded for a musket nipple.
Standard thread for a sporting nipple is 1/4-28. Both the thread diameter and pitch are different for musket nipples. If the caps you have almost fit the nipple on the gun then, as has already been mentioned, you may simply need to file the top of the nipple a little to get rid of a slight mushrooming. Then buy some extra nipples and a nipple wrench for the next time.
If it is indeed a musket nipple, #11s shouldn't even be close to fitting.

They make Musket Cap nipples for just about every thread size these days Randy.
I bet you're right that it's just mushroomed tho.

My money is on a musket nipple. I suspect the previous owner changed out the #11 for a musket. If that's the case, all FMarion needs to do is pick up a nipple for #11 caps that has the TC standard 1/4-28 thread and he's good to go. It will likely be easier finding a new nipple than musket caps. A phone call or two to local shops and ranges will determine if either the nipple or caps are available.

After seeing the musket nipple comparison, I would really put money on it being one. I really wish I could post a picture. I am going to try the shop i bought it from for either caps or a new nipple, and if to no avail, Ill try the range's shop. If that is a dead-end as well, I shall be very mad lol. I want to try this out so bad I can feel it in my bones, and now I may have to wait another week...

The conical sides of your guns nipple should be straight and look very much like both of the nipples in the picture above.

If the material at the top is mushroomed from dry firing, a small flat file can be used to file away the mushroomed material. This should allow a #11 cap to fit snugly on the cone.

If your nipple is a musket sized nipple there is no way two grown men and a big hammer would get the #11 caps to fit. There is that much of a difference.

Musket caps are available but a lot of gun shops don't carry them. You might call around before wasting your time driving all over the place.

Some shooters install musket sized nipples in an effort to get the most reliable ignition.

Many of us feel this is a waste of money because the Musket caps cost a lot more and a #11 cap will work just fine.

Semisane, you gave very good advice, the photos were exactly what he needed, and excellent.

I`ll bet he`s got a musket nipple. They make them with 1/4 28 threads that fit Thompson Center guns. My Thompson Center Hawken that I bought used came to me with a musket nipple on it. I swapped it out for a standard #11 1/4x28 nipple cause I don`t use musket caps.

Welp, the range's shop has neither, and I cannot get in contact with any shops so far this Sunday morning lol. AAAAAAAAAAAAH this is so annoying. Have to wait another week now. I am going to order both musket caps AND a #11 nipple, because God knows with my luck, this one will be ceased or something if I just buy the nipple lol. Thank you guys SO much for all the help. There was so much more turn out than I expected that late at night in order to help me out for today.

Little bit of an update for everyone; my #11 nipple and wrench came in the mail today. Was a little bit of a pain to get the musket nipple off, but it fits like a glove :) I also have musket caps in the mail that should be here any day now, in case this nipple didn't want to come off lol. So now I can use the musket ones once I run out of the #11's in between when I buy more. Thanks again guys for all of your help and advice. I will post a very ecstatic email on Saturday once I shoot a rifle for the first time in my life, and with an awesome muzzleloader no less :D

...once I shoot a rifle for the first time in my life,... .

FMarion, do you have any experience shooting muzzle loaders, or have a friend who can coach you through the process?

Which powder do you plan to use? GOEX, Pyrodex, Triple 7? What charge volume? Will you be shooting a patched round ball? Did you rifle come with a manual?

Sorry for all the questions but we don't know your level of experience and sure wouldn't want you to get yourself hurt.

Glad u were able to correct the problem. Now u have the option of which cap to use, depending on which powder u use. It is no question that a musket cap will throw more fire than the 11 cap. If using pellets u probably will need the xtra flash. Otherwise the 11 will most likley work fine.

HOSS

Back