• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tipi size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mongo40

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a tipi, was wondering what those of you that have had them or still do would recommend size wize, two people sleeping comfortably with all your gear, sometimes three, also is it possible to set up by yourself. I'm thinking in the 16' to 18' range.
Chris

Chris I lived in a 16 for 9 months n had plenty of room for me all my stuff, even during the winter, it would be ok for two but if yer gonna have three on a regular basis personally I'd go with the 18. Yes you can set it up alone, its really no biggie except on a windy day n then the cover can give ya fits trying to fight the wind,with a good fire inside even in wet weather you will stay dry, I'm guessing the heat from the fire as well as the way your flaps are set make a difference. If you can put it up in the backyard n live in it on the weekends or full time if yer able, useing the flaps is a learning curve to get the smoke out n a good draft depending on the wind direction, it even helps at first to keep a log of how ya have things set at different times to refer back to. Once yer used to it they are great but in the begining can be a royal pain to get set right, put it up n take it down several times to familierize yerself with the process, believe me it will help later on, --just some thoughts YMHS Birdmanps, I've got a line on a nice 14 foot that I just may buy, put up down the lower end of the property, hehehe wife figures I'll end up living in it again, :haha: shes probably right :applause: :thumbsup:

I lived in an 18 footer for a little over a year. Also used it in a mobile application for years afterward, using it to camp for 10 days at a time. The 18 footer contained all my worldly possessions at the time,including the dog, but not the pickup. Once you can get the set right, the lodge can be as comfortable as a house, even in winter.

One elk season the 18 footer slept 10 guys. There were six of us to begin with, then a camp nearby had a flat roofed tent that collapsed under a foot of heavy wet snow. About 2 AM there was a knock, and the guy asked, "Can we come in there and sleep with you guys?" With ten of us in there, it was a bit crowded, but we managed.

The year encampment was in the company of two other lodges, both 16 footers. Both were the abode of single ladies with all their possessions. One stayed there for three years, the other for two years. This version of suburbia was a picture to behold.

Whichever you buy, have fun with it. Don't let the internal fire get too high. One of my elk hunters built a huge fire and burned the liner, even though the liner was treated to withstand fire. After that, I used a small woodstove when having out of town guests.

Speaking of Tipi's - I just ran accross these pictures and thought they were interesting.

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/08/blackfoot-decorated-tipis-c-1900/

http://www.retronaut.co/2011/04/the-real-wild-west/

Foster From Flint

I too am shopping for a pyramid style tent, not a traditional multi pole one but a later single pole miners/range style.

One thing that really helped me narrow down the size needed was to make a scaled drawing and sketch in where stuff will go. One thing I learned is that if a tipi is the same hieght as the width you need to go about 6 inches from the wall to get one foot of hieght. So Basically draw a circle 3 feet inside the big circle and that shows you where you can stand.

The sketching really helped and of course before I did it I had grossly underestimate my needs.

I Would love to own a real teepee large enough to 'live' in, the problem is where we hunt getting that many long poles would be impossible.

The wife and I gave ourselves an 18 foot tipi for Christmas this year. We've set it up and taken it down a few times, but have not camped in it yet. Will camp on memorial day weekend. It sure has a lot of room compared to our 9 foot pyramid.

Warmest Regards,
Robert

Go with the 18 ft. You'll love the room. Also, get Laubin's book, "The Indian Tipi."

Robert Iliff said:
The wife and I gave ourselves an 18 foot tipi for Christmas this year. We've set it up and taken it down a few times, but have not camped in it yet. Will camp on memorial day weekend. It sure has a lot of room compared to our 9 foot pyramid.

Warmest Regards,
Robert
what kind of poles andhow many do you us

I used an early Panther Primitives 12X12 pyramid or 'hunters' style lodge for many years. Biggest downside was the small door. As I aged just getting my plunder in and out that door about kilt my back. It slept two several times but with my gear it was always crowded. Sleep pad or cot had to be a couple feet from edge to avoid touching cloth. No real ventilation, collected moisture like crazy at night. Wool blankets were wet like they had been rained on in morning. No real good place to store rifles and moisture was very hard on them. I suggest the 15X15 with large door.

Skagan said:
what kind of poles andhow many do you us

Ah yes, poles. I looked for suitable poles here in sw New Mexico with no luck. Finally I ordered a pole set from Crazy Crow. There were 18 lodge pole pine poles of 24 feet. They were expensive, but the shipping was insane! Had it been summer instead of winter, it could have been worthwhile to take a road trip farther north to cut my own.

Robert

Thanks guys, leaning toward the 18' for now. Saving my money up to get me one. later
Chris

Latest posts

Back