• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVAED

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know this has been beat around alot but what do you guys use for patch lube? Is bore butter all right? Also is it alright to wipe down the entire rifle, wood and metal with bore butter? Thanks

I like the wonderlube/borebutter in warm weather when Im just shooting in the backyard. When its cold or its hunting season I lube with bear grease or mink oil. I like them both. As far as a preservative for the metal I agian use the bear oil inside my barrel but dont mind using wonder lube on the outside of the barrel. Never one single problem yet in 30+ yrs of playin with flintlocks :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Stumpkiller said:
I wouldn't lube the outside of my rifle unless I was grizzly hunting and expecting to have it jammed somewhere if I only wound the bear. :shocked2:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Ever since I stoped using the real sperm whale oil , ( I am telling my age)I have experimented with lubes but always go back to the 80% lard 20% beeswax that my 70 year plus neighbor told me to use in 1968. But below freezing I use pure lard. :idunno:

bull 3540 if you don't mind could you give me that better cheaper recipe. Someone told me about lard, someone else about beef suit and boiling down, etc. If anyone has a recipe please post it for me. I know Stumpkiller put a couple in, but a few others so that i and others who are considering making some lube might choose which looks good. Thanks

I am using windshield washer solution as patch lube, i am getting good groups and it seems to clean the bore with every shot. I fill a film canister with .015 patches and add the solution so they are wet and i tell you, at the end of the day shooting it is a lot easier to clean. And WWS is cheap, and will last a long time :thumbsup: :stir:

About the only thing Bore Butter is good for is in the hunting woods where either no shot or only one or two at the most is fired. It won't hurt the bore as long as the gun isn't fired and the gun can be safely (for the gun) stowed away until next time.

I am currently using a beeswax and (real) Sperm whale oil mix. When that supply is used up I also have a batch of beeswax and peanut oil. They are mixed to cool into a soft bar which I rub on the patch material.
I wouldn't hesitate to use the b'wax and whale oil on the stock and barrel even though that is not my practice.
For that I use a 'furniture restorer' made from primarily beeswax dissolved in turpentine.

Beeswax & Peanut oil, current mix 1:3 Beeswax to oil. I am still learning to experiment, but this one is easy to make and is relatively stable till it gets hotter here. I suspect I will have to up the beeswax by a part come summer, but don't plan to unless it gets too messy. I generally pre-lube the patch anyhow so I want it softer than most.

For just plane shooting I use straight Ballistol. I can load shot after shot with no need to wipe between shots, last goes down like the first.
I keep the lubed patches in a cap tin.

If the load is going to be in the bore for a while,ie, hunting, then I use TOW's Mink Oil.

Mark

edmelott said:
I know this has been beat around alot but what do you guys use for patch lube? Is bore butter all right?
Natural Lube 1000 (bore butter) has been an excellent patch lube for me...always use precut patches prelubed with it for hunting.
And its fine for repeated shots at the range without having to wipe between shots during the months when we have higher humidity here in NC.

But during the colder/drier low humidity months its not wet enough to do that for 40-50 shots and for those range trips I squeeze a few squirts of liquid Hoppes PLUS BP Patch Lube into a bag of NL1000 patches to get them wetter.

Back