• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Almost had a Coyote in my lap this morning...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked and #2s will give me about 130-140 pellets...should do fine for a dog size target at 25yds and have some punch when they get there.

About 8 - 10 yars ago I was calling Turkeys and called one in coyote,didnt do no biting but got real close, I tryed to shoot him . He was so close that the shotgun pattern was like shooting a rifle.

Roundball is wise to think of using a shotgun they never stop moving. Choose your setup to were they have to come close and use the shotgun.Use heavy or the #2's I shot the one that I called in with #6's and it didn't slow him down, but it was on the 3rd shot, first 2 was misses like I said he was real close, about15 ft. 3rd shot was at about 15 yards.

This is the predator motion decoy I'll be using...couple batteries in the base and the vertical rod rotates back and forth in little jerks, making that piece of tan fur flip around back and forth.
Will set the speaker next to the base of the decoy and drape an old camo T-shirt over both of them.
Set them up 20-25yds away and that should keep any coyotes attention off me in the blind.
I've done some figuring and weighed out a few loads of chilled #2s for the .20ga Virginia.

May never see another coyote but am looking forward to going a couple times, see what happens.
There are worse ways to spend a couple mornings watching / listening to the woods waking up...

Predatormotiondecoycropped.jpg

roundball said:
May never see another coyote....

Here's a little fine tuning, assuming your coyotes have something in common with ours out west.

You can virtually "set your clock" by their routines. They appear to have kind of a circuit they work through their terrains, and they're on a schedule. Same time, same day they'll be back. In big terrain they may pass the spot only once every two or three days, but pass they will.

Bottom line, I'd be there at the same time of day, but not give up on the spot just because he didn't show up the first day. If he has a big territory it might take him longer to get back.

We have no shortage of them on our place in CO, and they're on a 3-day cycle there. We got to watching a pair on a camping trip while in CA recently, and those two hit the campground between 9:15 and 9:30 every morning.

Several years ago while turkey hunting I had 2 hen decoys out,I did a couple of yelps and heard something start running down a little hill toward me.I saw 2 yotes stop in the brush appeared to confer and split up.One of them circled around to my lt at the end of the field the other stood motionless in the brush.I was wondering what the heck was going on when the one to my left suddenly charged toward the decoys,with that the one in the brush suddenly charged the decoys seemed like they were working together to confuse the birds!!!Well it didn't turn out so well 'cause the Remy SP-10 spoke 3 times getting them both with loads of 2 1/4 ounces of #5 shot @ less than 25 yrds.RB I routinely hunt with a set up similar to yours using anything in my small :grin: arsenal to kill them.So far my grandson and I have taken 8 of the "song dogs"

That's good to hear...

I got the new rechargeable battery delivered and installed, charging up now.
Its an older Johnny Stewart caller system that still uses cassette tapes...used to use it on crow shoots years ago.
The tape unit still works fine, speaker is fine...just needed a new battery.
Have fox & cottontail in distress tapes to try.
Would tickle me if I could purge one out of my hunting area and take him out with a Flintlock smoothbore at that...

good luck @ it,I enjoy hunting yotes a good bit just after turkey season and some during the early summer before the the weather gets too hot here abouts

majg1234 said:
... the Remy SP-10 spoke ...

Hoo-wee... I know it well! I had an SP-10... still have the scar near my right eyebrow from when that thing "scope bit" me! :redface: Sold it a couple of years ago... just got too heavy to tote around, not to mention the cost and scarcity of 10 ga. ammo! Anyhoo, my 11 ga. club butt fowler took its' place in my arsenal! (Sorry to digress - even Mods are prone to go :eek:ff: on occasion!) :wink:

yep understand the heavy part that is in part why the 62 cal SB (Ms maureen) did 95% of thunder chicken season this year she'll be out Sat and Sun to close turkey season and open spring tree bacon season here in SE Tn.You know I think the SP-10 gained weight like me over the last 10yrs :confused:

Finally got out after coyotes this morning in the same spot I had that come to the turkey calls a week ago.
6:00am - 10:00am...20-30 seconds of a cottontail in distress every 5-10 minutes for 4 hours.
Not a hair...not even a self respecting red fox, gray fox, or bobcat.

Did have one interesting thing happen though...if you're familiar with those predator tapes, the entire tape is basically a constant series of repeats...had a mocking bird land in a tree nearby, pick up the cadence, and started mimicking the tape every time I turned it off.
As soon as I turned it back on the mocking bird would hush...turn it back off and it would start sounding off again, repeating the rabbit in distress sounds again.

BrownBear said:
I kinda wonder what the results would be if you'd put out your turkey decoy and used a turkey call. It worked once before....
LOL...looks like that might have been a fluke.
From all the coyote hunting sites, my set-up was pretty rock solid to drag in a coyote if one had been in hearing distance.

Plus, it would be just my luck that a GW would come along and write me up, saying that sitting there with turkey decoys, working a turkeys call, and holding a smoothbore are prima facia evidence I was turkey hunting "out of season"...since the season closed a week ago...no way I'd be able to convince a judge I was coyote hunting...LOL

Back