• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A morning I thought I wouldn't see

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
As many of you know, I had knee surgery on our Indiana turkey opener (April 25). I was unsure if I would be able to turkey hunt at all this year, but, that changed this morning.

I went to a friend's property where we do a lot of rabbit hunting on a low lying cattle pasture. This pasture is full of locust and osage orange trees and rose bushes, yet, open enough to be attractive to turkeys as well as bunnies.

I waited until light at my truck to avoid risk to my knee in the dark then slowly made my way to this bottom pasture through the wooded ridge above it. I listened intently for any gobbling. Finally at the edge of the pasture, I heard four different toms on a neighboring property about 500 yards away. I set up and called to the distant birds with no results for about an hour.

Since they didn't want to budge, I moved away from them a couple hundred yards, calling all the while. This seemed to do the trick as I could hear one of the group gobbling toward me. I found another locust tree and knocked off it's offending thorns where my back would lean and waited. With just a few more clucks from me, I had a dandy, thick-bearded, gobbler drumming 30 yards away. WHAT A SIGHT! I watched him above my bead with "Ole Betsy's" hammer laid back for 4 or 5 minutes. Back and forth he went, around and around the rose bushes in the shin-high grass at 30 yards. Did I mention he was THIRTY yards away? :doh:

I don't trust my gun that far.

Eventually I watched as he half-strutted his way toward the wooded ridge I had descended on my way in. I had not placed any dummies. Perhaps a decoy would have made a wonderful difference. :hmm: Maybe not. :idunno:

After his exit, he kept gobbling at crows about 150 yards away, so, I grabbed my gear and limped in a big semi-circle to re-position.

Set up in this new spot, I set out my hen and jake and resumed my love calls. Soon enough, it was apparent that the old boy was on his way to the top of the ridge. Probably a preferred strutting area. I continued to call from this hide.

In no time I heard another gobble within fifty yards over my right shoulder. :shocked2:

Quickly and quietly I revolved 90 degrees around the base of my tree. I clucked and purred for the next half hour with two birds gobbling at me within30-50 yards, but, behind a rose bush the size of a small cabin! :haha:

Finally, I shut up with my twelve gauge trained to the left edge of this rose bush. My arms were tiring and I hoped something would happen SOON.....and it did.

From behind the rosebush, a blue and white head could be clearly seen moving from my right to left. Now , quite in the clear and 23 yards away, a turkey's body (along with the blue/white head) completed the picture. Not a blade of grass between he and I. Perfect!

Through the smoke, I saw his buddy depart for parts unknown, while my bird did the familiar flapping we have all come to love at the end of a perfect morning. :thumbsup:

I can think of no better therapy for this turkey hunter's post-surgery knee than a close encounter with a monster gobbler earlier, and, taking my first jake ever after an excellent game of cat-and-mouse. :hatsoff:

Gobble, Gobble, Skychief.

Skychief, that is fantastic...both for the knee surgery and the turkey...congratulations !!
Even if you don't go out again, the season wasn't missed after all and you have to feel good about that...
:thumbsup:

Congratulations Skychief :thumbsup: :hatsoff: The sound of the gobble is the best medicene I know of :thumbsup:

That's the best post I've seen for quite a while. Congratulations, and a good job.

Spence

Sky--Good ON-Ya! WOW ..I won't tell the doctors either Promise!
Hope you where shoot'n old reliable!.Time to convert it to flint..just happen to know a guy :hmm:
Jake's taste the best..Congrats!
Save the wings for arrow fletchings :thumbsup:
Speedy recovery!

Congrats SC I'm glad you were able to get out and hunt. Sounds like the knee is doing well

Roundball, We are allowed one bearded bird in the Spring, so, I am done and am very satisfied.

Flint, Thanks!

Wattlebuster, I agree whole-heartedly! :thumbsup:

lonehunter, Thanks!

Spence, A real compliment coming from YOU! Thanks buddy.

Makeumsmoke, Yea, let's keep this between "us chickens". :wink: Flint, huh? :hmm: One pal has dibs on the feathers and another on the wing bones. Thanks!

smo, The knee is "coming along". :hatsoff:

necchi, Thanks!

T.O., Thanks!

chance, Thank you.

Wess, Appreciate it!

ny griz, Thanks!

I don't think anybody could slap the smile off my face yet :slap: .

Talk about fun.....Black Powder Turkeys...Oh Yea!!

Best regards, Skychief. :bow:

Sometimes - one day, makes a season.

Congratulation. Now get back to therapy!

Greg

Congratulations! Or as we say: Waidmannsheil!! :hatsoff:

Thank you for the story and all the best for your recovery.

Silex

Back