• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

minimum tools for first build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I saw an excellent episode of the woodwright's shop that discussed a 19th century children's book about a young cabinet maker. and part of the show discussed the minimum tools that this young aprentice needed to create all the projects in that book. I've been wondering ever since about what the list would look like for a beginner gun stocker and how close it would be to that young cabinet maker.

one thing that always stopped me from trying to build my own firelock was the idea that the initial tools would be as much as the gun itself.

How about a list of an "initial issue" for a beginning builder.
(modern or hand, doesn't matter)

What I used to make my first gun:
Wood Mallet
Ball-peen Hammer
Chisel (1/4")
Small home-made gouge
Hand Drill (electric)
Drill bits
Taps
10" Mill file
Needle files
Scrapers (Home-made with rounded ends)
Sandpaper
Dremel tool (For Trigger mortise)
Center punch
4 in 1 Rasp

Since then, I've added:
More Chisels (1/2", 3/4" and 1") and many home-made ones in various sizes and shapes
Small hand-plane
Grinder
Stationary Belt sander
Buffer

Beer or liquor? :idunno:

I've never build a rifle, but I've got plenty of experience building radio control airplanes. Files, drills, sanding blocks, glue, paint, hammers, taps, center punch and sometimes stain. Same tools, but I can't do it without something to drink. :rotf:

Just a couple things to add to Blackhands list:
6" machinist ruler
36" straight edge(for drawing center lines)
A good sturdy bench and vise with something soft to cushon the jaws.
lots of good clamps

Do you have one of the book that explain the process? If so go chapter by chapter and just buy the tools necessary for the next step or two. Build up slowly, no large outlay of cash for tools you may/may not use. Check out M. Brooks tutorial on this site. Look forward to the next step and accumulate the NECESSARY tools. Then add as you progress!

I bought "recreating the american longrifle" several reas ago, and if i recall correctly, there was a nice list in there. unfortunately, I boxed it up when I moved and havent seen it in reays.

The tools req'd depend on where the starting point is....blank, precarve or something in between.Also depends on whether some components are made vs purchased parts. Asre "how to" books..."Recreating the American Longrifle" by Buchele in either version enumerates the order of build...some other books do not. Good luck.....Fred

hanshi said:
Opposable thumbs; gotta have those to even start. :grin:
well, in that case I'm already starting off behind the eight ball :wink:

i agree with flehto, the Recreating the Longrifle book is a good start. My first book was Alexanders' The Gunsmith of Grenville County, which i am given to understand is now out of print and frightfully expensive even if you can find a copy on Amazon (wow- just googled it: nearly two hundred bucks ... ouch!!)

You might want to check out the DVDs on American Pioneer Videos- they have some good stuff, which can give you some insights on the sorts of tools you will need, without buying a bunch of tools which will just sit around and collect dust.

good luck with your build- it will be the first of many!

Back