• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnie_kennedy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a .69 cal. flintlock that i just bought. I was wondering about patches. In everyones experiences what works best for you? Unlubed and lube them yourself or prelubed. Or, if you have any other advice for this let me know. I'm sure there is a recipe for making your own lube out there. Either way, what has worked best for you?

There are many options and they all work. I go for economy. Pillow ticking fabric, cut at the muzzle (not so easy with a pistol) and lube made with Crisco and beeswax. Works well for me.

I sometimes cut at the muzzle and sometimes precut my patches. Both ways work for me. When I am doing a woodswalk, I prefer to cut at the muzzle. I hang a strip of patching from my ramrod where it is readily available and cut as I go. No fumbling in my bag for patches. But, when I am punching paper at the range, I precut my patches. In both cases, I prelube them with straight Ballistol. I used to prefer Bore Butter but now use Ballistol. It seems to keep my bore cleaner and I can get 20 to 25 shots before swabbing my bore. My patch of choice is twice washed pocket drill from Jo-Anne Fabrics. I use only washing detergent to prewash and absolutley no fabric softener because it tends to keep the fabric from absorbing the lube as well. After washing, I use an iron to iron out all of the wrinkles from the fabric and I am ready to cut patches. Pocket drill is sort of strange in that it is more compressable than most any other fabric I have seen. Before washing, it mics at .018 but after washing, it mics at about .020 but compresses to about .010. When you compress it to .010, it is a tight fit but it will work. When you need anything between .010 and .020, it works just fine. Strange but true. Check it with your micrometer.

Hey dude,
I've been using precut/prelubed with bore butter in my rifles for years, but am thinking of trying lubing with a 25% solution of ballistal.

I think all these guys have great ideas on patches. I found what works with my gun and stick with it. My input is on lube. I have used Soluble oil and water. 10 to 15% oil and the rest is water. Shake well and use on patches. The oil is the lube and the water breaks down the fowling. To me it works great. I make 6 to 8 oz at a time and wet the patch good. Try it . Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Back