• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What are ya'll using for patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wondering what everybody is using for patch lube? So far I've tried wonder lube 1000, and the old time spit on it like I saw Hershall House do in a vid and it's what I do 99% of the time at the range. However, I wonder how well it'd work for hunting where you leave the rifle loaded for hours at a time?

Oh, and I'm currently using pillow ticking.

Thanks

Above freezing I use 80%lard 20% beeswax, below freezing I use pure lard. :hmm: Since I use a lot of lube, I place a leather wad between the prb (or greased mini) and the powder. :idunno:

Crisco/beeswax. Had used straight crisco for years but the beeswax firms it up and helps to keep it where it belongs instead of all over your hands. What you're doing is fine, no real need to spit with the wonderlube, especially for a hunting load. Since I don't pre-lube any longer, i usually just spit patch for woods walks or field shooting.

This may be the most oft asked question here, or on any ml forum. And the list of replies is endless. Try a forum search, it will bring up lots of replies. I have tried many-many concoctions.
Currently, I am using two mixes. One is beeswax and whale oil. The other is beeswax and peanut oil. Both work fine.

For hunting, ToTW's mink oil - it doesn't dry out, and it doesn't promote rust. Playing w/ Red Wing Shoe mink oil mix. has lanolin in it, and so far it is promising, and you can buy it anywhere.

Thanks. I wonder, what about straight mutton tallow? I've got a good supply of it and use it in my BPCR lube mix.

What worries me about using spit patch is getting a rust ring and the spit drying out over the course of several hours. My barrel is a Rice and it's so smooth on the inside that if I didn't know better I'd think it was chrome lined, don't want to do anything to hurt it!

I did do a search here, but it was a pretty jumbled list that came up.

Blademaker said:
Thanks. I wonder, what about straight mutton tallow? I've got a good supply of it and use it in my BPCR lube mix.

What worries me about using spit patch is getting a rust ring and the spit drying out over the course of several hours. My barrel is a Rice and it's so smooth on the inside that if I didn't know better I'd think it was chrome lined, don't want to do anything to hurt it!

I did do a search here, but it was a pretty jumbled list that came up.

Spit is good for target work, trailwalks etc.

You will want a grease lube for hunting or if there are long periods between shots.

Mutton should work, just not sure on the sodium content in their diet, if its low should be good, just gonna have to do some range work to find out for sure.

Blade, There's 2 kinds of lube, water based and oil based. Of the water based, spit is as good as any and better than most. Of the oil based, crisco
has served me well for about 70 yrs.for the rare occasion that I leave one loaded overnight. All my barrels still look like their chromed. It's not just the lube but how it's applied to the patch. Some just run their tongue over the patch while some chew on a patch til it's needed for the next shot, I'm a chewer. Same with oil, some goop in on the patch and all over themselves, others squeeze it almost dry, I soak them then squeeze them almost dry. My 2 cents.
Deadeye

Biggest problem found with the spit or water based lubes if left for several days may "ring" your barrel. CVA, TC and Douglas barrels were famous for this (must have been the metal used). I have used water based lubes and left guns (forgot about) loaded for long periods on my Green River, Caywood barrels and didn't have any problem. :confused:

Spit or a Balistol concoction for the range, Mink oil hunting.
I just resupplied my Balistol supply after about ten years, and it seems to have a slightly different appearance when mixed up into a recipe similar to Stumpshooters. Have they changed their formula?? Just curious, it seems to work the same.
Robby

I tried mutton tallow and found it to be pretty good but temp sensitive, at least the stuff I had. Currently testing a deer tallow & jojoba oil combination, diluted ballistol at the range, and mink oil for hunting. Haven't tried Hoppes 9 yet but hear it's great stuff. Half of the fun is experimenting with different concoctions until you find one you like.

I use only spit for lube and have never had a rust ring to contend with. I also admit that I have never left my rifles loaded overnight.

Vern

Latest posts

Back