• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper way to hang Powder Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm making a powder horn. What is the proper or historical way to hang your horn over your shoulder ?

I see in photos some put base end forward....some with the spout forward . This might be a silly ??? but what way do you do it ! Thanks ..Jeff

I have found it much more convienient with the spout foreward and would guess this was the norm based on experience in usage in the field, and thye can be filled from the spout so a special plug threaded or other ways to fill the horn from the rear is not needed and was probably not the common way in the past.

All of the period illustrations that I recall & all the people that I know use a spout forward carry. There are practical advantages to this - the plug is less likely to be pulled out if brushing past something, a missing plug is more likely to be noticed, it is easier to pour in this position. Where did you see photos of backwards carry?

Jeff: Another thing to keep in mind is that horns were typically hung from their own strap in earlier times. The practice of suspending the horn on short straps or thongs from from the bag strap is I believe, at least post-Revolutionary War if not later.

Spout forward, whichever side you carry it on. The only place I've seen a horn carried butt plug first is in some very poorly researched movies.

Spence

BillinOregon said:
Jeff: Another thing to keep in mind is that horns were typically hung from their own strap in earlier times. The practice of suspending the horn on short straps or thongs from from the bag strap is I believe, at least post-Revolutionary War if not later.

I'll venture a guess that it is more like post-1950 or 1960 when the 'primitive' movement started. There are lots of silly things on some current day mountain man clothes and accessories that very likely never existed in the mountains.

Rifleman1776 said:
BillinOregon said:

I'll venture a guess that it is more like post-1950 or 1960 when the 'primitive' movement started. There are lots of silly things on some current day mountain man clothes and accessories that very likely never existed in the mountains.

While there are plenty of "rondyisms" - things that look old timey to our modern eyes, horns hung from the bag strap is not one of them. Plenty of examples are in Grant's books & while his dates are inconclusive, they are clearly pre 20th c. setups. Like BillinOregon, I believe that the horn on bag strap is a later development, likely a 19th c practice.

If you were subsistence hunting 300 miles away from your closest neighbor, why would you feel obliged to comport yourself to everyday standards?

If you wanted to carry you horn backwards, on the wrong side or like your grandfather & his contemporaries did 50 years before, who would rat you out? If you had a physical disability due to injury or misadventure, would you care what people thought about your unconventinal use?

Adapt, improvise, overcome.

2571 said:
If you were subsistence hunting 300 miles away from your closest neighbor, why would you feel obliged to comport yourself to everyday standards?

If you wanted to carry you horn backwards, on the wrong side or like your grandfather & his contemporaries did 50 years before, who would rat you out? If you had a physical disability due to injury or misadventure, would you care what people thought about your unconventinal use?

Adapt, improvise, overcome.

I fail to see that what I said would generate that response. :idunno:
What is your point?

Spout forward is the only way that makes sense. If the spout was pointing backward, it would make loading pretty awkward. What would be the sense in it? :idunno:

Claude said:
Billnpatti said:
Spout forward is the only way that makes sense. If the spout was pointing backward, it would make loading pretty awkward. What would be the sense in it? :idunno:
Yep. :)

Well if you were all in a line the guy behind you would have better access to the powder in a fight while you were being the shield :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Coot said:
Rifleman1776 said:
BillinOregon said:

While there are plenty of "rondyisms" - things that look old timey to our modern eyes, horns hung from the bag strap is not one of them. Plenty of examples are in Grant's books & while his dates are inconclusive, they are clearly pre 20th c. setups. Like BillinOregon, I believe that the horn on bag strap is a later development, likely a 19th c practice.

I carry my horn on a strap separate from the bag. Of course that's my own choice.

Rod L said:
Here's a sketch, done by R.F. Kurz, at Fort Union in 1851, that illustrates a bag & attached horn combo---and what appears to be a Hawken rifle. All belonging to Edwin Denig, the factor at Ft. Union.

http://user.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/images/kurz/plate19.jpg

Interesting. Yes, it does look like the horn is attached to bag straps. However, I am hesitant to use sketches and paintings as authentication. I know, often they are the best reference we have. But, that does not make them necessarily correct. After all, artists, by definition, are creative.

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
My personal preference is to carry my horn on a separate strap from my bag. I tried carrying my horn on a strap attached to my bag but found it not to my liking. I am right handed so I like to carry my bag on my right side where it is handy for me to reach in with my right hand when I need anything. But, I like to carry my horn on my left side so that I can pour powder with my left hand into my measure which I hold in my right hand. Some folks like to carry their horn tucked up high on their side but I prefer to carry it lower. It's just what I have found over the years that works best for me. In my personal opinion, there is no one HC way of wearing your bag and horn, it is all about what works best for you.

Rod L said:
Here's a sketch, done by R.F. Kurz, at Fort Union in 1851, that illustrates a bag & attached horn combo---and what appears to be a Hawken rifle. All belonging to Edwin Denig, the factor at Ft. Union.
http://user.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/images/kurz/plate19.jpg
In the top sketch, it appears that the man has that strap around his neck and rather than under his arm, as most might carry it. Could that be a mistake on the part of the artist?

I think it's possible that artists put together "scenes" after the fact, based on memory. They may not always have the accuracy of a photo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back