• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Breech Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK in PA

36 Cal.
Reaction score
If a half-round breech scraper is used on a ramrod down a particular .62 cal fusil, it hangs up down in the breech as it's twisted. Shining a flashlight down the bore, "something" looks to run left-right across the breech. I was able to snap this photo. The "something" is the dark horizontal line at the bottom of the barrel. What is it? I'm guessing it could be some type of chamber related to the touchhole. Thanks.
Bore.jpg

Hmmm. Maybe a groove across the front of the breech from the drill bit when the vent was drilled??

Either a burr from the drill bit poking through or your vent liner is protrudung into the Bore.Unbreaching it will tell the tale.

alex efremenko said:
Either a burr from the drill bit poking through or your vent liner is protrudung into the Bore.Unbreaching it will tell the tale.
Ditto. Looks like a vent liner.

Get the worm on your rod and stuff it with plasticine or playdogh or something like that.Ram it down and press it to the plug to make an impresion on it.Pull it out and you will see what is that you have .My gess is that the drill kiss the plug as the vent hole was drilled.Remember to use the worm, you do not whant that plaster stuck in there!

It is where the drill went across the face of the plug.not a big issue,use a breech face brush to get the crud loose. one advantage to this is IF you should dryball there is room to poke prime powder in the t-hole to shoot it out. make sure the pick had a flat on end. I make mine with a triangular x-section to remove the crud/fouling, use .060 brass wire.a smooth pick is not very effective at cleaning the t-hole.

pull your touch hole liner. then drop the scrapper or something else that fills the bore down on your ramrod. measure how deep your barrel is there and then compare it to your liner. if needed get a nut and screw the liner into it and file it to the proper depth for your gun. did it with mine.

Latest posts

Back