• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

breech plug tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fox.45

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where I can buy an oringnal tool for removing and replacing the breech plug on a Thompsom Hawkin .50 cal. serial no. is 4 digits so its got some age on it..
I have seen some tools on various sites but they look like a peice of sheet metal.
The one im looking for looks like it is machine out of a 1" block and can be hit with a hammer to loosen plug. Thanks for lookin. Fox.45 :confused:

They come up on flebay every once in a while.
But there's really no reason to remove the plug.
If it's damaged T/C will repair/replace it for you,,and there is no after market plug available.
T/C has always used a prioritized thread for thier plug and barrel,,no one else has it.

PLEASE! Don't use a hammer on these spanners. Instead get a piece of pipe about 3 feet long to put over the end of a good wrench's handle to give you the leverage to turn these plugs out. There should be few- if any -- reasons to remove a Breech plug from a T/C barrel, BTW. OH, you will find it helps keep from marring the flats on the barrel if, in addition to clamping the barrel beyond where the plug fits, you have a helper get under the bench vise that holds the barrel, and use another wrench or padded vise-grip to hold the barrel to keep it from twisting in the jaws of your bench vise. 35 years ago, I was the " Helper" Laying on my back under the bench vise in my friend's shop, pushing the barrel in the opposite direction from where he was turning the breech plug with his spanner, wrench, and a 2 1/2" diameter by 36" pipe that he put over the handle of the wrench to give him more leverage. That T/C breech plug turned out like a piece of cake. Even he was surprised at how much easier it was to use leverage, instead of pounding on the handle of his wrench with a hammer! :shocked2: :( :nono: :confused: :grin: :thumbsup: [The pipe wrench he used was fitted over that spanner, with the spanner over that plug.]

All I can say is, don't remove the breech plug. :nono:
Why in the world would you want to?

I made two little 15/16 wrenches from 1/4 inch
steel. I would shoot 10 shots with the percussion
then take the breach plug out, screw in the flint
then change locks and shoot it as a Flint. I did
this all the time. I could make the change at the
range in about one min. I was shooting bench at
the time and I wanted to see if there was any
difference in accuracy between the two systems.
There was, the Flint being the more accurate.

Lucky,
How loose did you keep the breech plugs or did you have a bench and vise at the range???
Mark

It was loose. I made the breach plugs so they
would fit just snug with the wrench. Worked just
perfect. On my pistol you can shoot it all day
and un-screw the breach plug just by hand. No tools are required.

:redface: Ok ,heres the story, A few years ago I bought a TC hawkin kit, the cost was 75.00 (i was a dealer then) .Along with it I bought the both locks and breech plugs and the wrench. I finished the kit and like someone else stated on here I would use the Perrcussion lock in the reg season and swap to the flint in the flintlock season.
About 2 years ago I had a weak moment ,a friend wanted to buy my rifle and another one i had picked up along the way. I had quit hunting and was into trapshooting and fishing so I sold both for 200.00 apeice and the wrench went with them.
In the meantime I have gotten back into the BP guns and kept thinking about the Hawken.
I called him and told him if he had a mind to get rid of it I would like to buy it back.. He told me if I wanted to come and get it.So I drove the 200 miles there and 200 back and got the gun,and the both locks, but he didnt know where the wrench was ,so thats why I need a wrench.
AND, all I had to do was hang it on the gun, hold the barrel in 1 hand and hit the wrench a sharp blow with a 20 oz hammer and the same to put it back on,, Belive it or not ,thats my story and im stickin to it :thumbsup:

Fox.45 said:
.......all I had to do was hang it on the gun, hold the barrel in 1 hand and hit the wrench a sharp blow with a 20 oz hammer and the same to put it back on,, Belive it or not ,thats my story and im stickin to it :thumbsup:

:shocked2:

This is on a Thompson Center Hawken, right?

:idunno:

Fox,
I don't know where my response went when they moved your post but I have a 15/16th TC breech plug wrench and nothing to use it on. PM me if you have an interest.
Mark

This is what I made
HPIM2186.jpg

It is a big tap wrench but works great for a barrel wrench too, just put something to protect the barrel no mater what you use

Hi Papa. yes im interested , the wrench im lookin for isnt very big, in fact you could put it in your pocket ,Is that what you have?
I am in Pa. and I see your in Ohio,

Jauncho, thats a nice wrench, ya could prolly take the receiver off an M1, but I like it and ya got a clean shop too
:thumbsup:

To all:

If someone asks about something they want it's OK to give them information in the open topics about where they can find it as long as it's not YOU who is offering it.

For instance, its all right to say, "Contact ole' Fritz Shoemaker over at Punkin Center. His store has just what you want."

It's NOT all right to say, "I've got just the thing you'r asking about. If your interested just post it here." (or words to that effect).

If someone asks about something and you do have just what they want, use the PRivate Topic system to send them your offer or to let them know you have whatever it is.

Most of you members know how to use the PT system but briefly, hold your mouse over their name over on the left hand side of the screen.

Either left click on it to go straight to their "HOME" or do as I like to do and right click on it and select "Open Link in new Tab".

Whichever method you use, when you get to the persons "HOME" you will see a clickable button that says "Start Private Topic". Click it and start writing.

Folks should look at the bar at the top of their screen from time to time. If you see a black "PT" flashing at you, you have a Private Topic message. Click it and open your message to see what it says.
Reply just like you were posting your thoughts on a Topic in the regular Forum area.

Now: Fox.45, send ole PAPA a PT so this topic can get back to discussing breech plug tools. :)

juancho, looking at your wrench, if you turn the parts over you van use the "V" cuts to catch four flats on the octagon barrel. Less chance of rounding off a corner on tough jobs.
Sense I work on barrels almost every day i made a few custom tools for the job.
barrelvicewithVblock.jpg

actionwrenchbreachplug.jpg

:redface: Sorry bout that Zonie, I didnt know, thanks for the info,, and papa and I got our smoke signals readin right and im gettin my wrench. Damn post offoce was closed today :thumbsup: Fox.45

Back