• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building a Chambers Lancaster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snakebite

45 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, there's a thread on building a rifle from TOTW.

How about the building one of Jim Chambers Lancasters? I bought his DVD and I've read his FAQs on his website which gives me an idea.

So I'd like to hear from some of you that have actually built one.

:idunno:

Have "built" 3 Chambers' early Lancaster parts sets and although slightly more expensive than others, the quality is excellent...especially the brass parts which require very little addt'l work. The precarved stock allows enough wood for carving and slight changes to the architecture. Below are photos of the 3 I've done....Fred

Lanc4ButtPboxC.jpg

LehtoL245PBSVhi.jpg

SLanIIILSCheekwTG.jpg

The brass patchboxes aren't included in the parts sets...Good luck.

Fletho nice work your patch box work and carving look great Im jealous

Chambers kit question:
Rifles look very nice. :thumbsup: Are they standard wood or are they upgraded wood?

Don

Thanks for the kind words. The middle LR is standard wood and the other 2 are upgrades. Chambers' part set bbls have the bbl lug and front sight dovetails cut. The brass parts clean up quickly and the precarved stock requires a minimum of inletting...mainly the corners. Of course the stock/bbl and trigger have to be pinned and the lock bolts have to be drilled and tapped and then the stock drilled for the bolts. The tang bolt has to be installed and the trigger plate tapped plus some other work. All in all, an excellent parts set....Fred

I suggest you Special Order it, wherever you get it, and get the stock shaped to the lock panels, RR groove cut & RR hole drilled, and the barrel inlet. No other inlets.

Almost every preshaped stock I have bought in the past 5 years was Over-inlet, including 3 Chambers stocks. One I built & the other two I sold because it was over-inlet. I am not gluing in wood & having to patch a new stock I just paid hard earned money for, because the patterns are worn out.

Keith Lisle

Awhile back I tried to order a Chambers' early Lancaster parts set w/o the stock sideplate inlet and was told that w/o this inlet, the warranty was voided. Yes...I would much prefer a Chambers' precarve w/o the sideplate and lock inlets and also w/o the RR pipe inlets, but don't want to void the warranty. Yes...there have been over runs on some inlets but nothing that couldn't be fixed. Most of my LRs are built from blanks which are sent out for the bbl inletting and RR groove and hole and this works out better than using a precarve.....Fred

"Awhile back I tried to order a Chambers' early Lancaster parts set w/o the stock sideplate inlet and was told that w/o this inlet, the warranty was voided...."
--------------
Sounds like a good reason to buy the pre-inlet stock blank from Pecatonica River to me.

No, PR doesn't warranty their stocks or kits but they will gladly supply the stock without the lock or sideplate mortice. :)

Yrs ago I purchased a "Hawken" kit from Pecatonica and seeing this was my 2nd MLer build, didn't notice until trying to inlet the triggers that the lock inlet was too low. Called them and then drove down and they readily admitted the mistake. They then supplied me w/ a superb maple replacement stock which was on my elk rifle that now is my son's. The main reason I buy Chambers' parts sets when I do a "kit", is their brass conponents....soft, easily bent yellow brass which are investmwent cast and require very little finishing. I do prefer starting from a blank and 95% of my builds are such.....Fred

I just finished my 1st build. It is a Chambers Isaac Haines. I used the Chambers video; Dixon's, "The Art of Building The Pennsylvania Longrifle"; Buchel, Shumway & Alexander's "Recreating The American Longrifle" books and this Forum for reference. Before each section of the build I would look at the video and take notes, look at the appropriate sections in the books and also look it up in this Forum. I went very slow and concentrated on each particular area and it came together great.

I should mention that when my kit arrived the lock was not in the package. I called Chambers and told them and without any hassle or questioning they immediately shipped me the lock. That really impressed me as the lock is no small item.

I am now thinking about what my next build will be. I do know that it will be a Chambers kit.

flehto said:
Have "built" 3 Chambers' early Lancaster parts sets and although slightly more expensive than others, the quality is excellent...especially the brass parts which require very little addt'l work. The precarved stock allows enough wood for carving and slight changes to the architecture. Below are photos of the 3 I've done....Fred

The brass patchboxes aren't included in the parts sets...Good luck.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Over the years I have built at least a dozen or more, Chamber's kits. They are without a doubt, the best available.
As with any pre carve, parts placement is critical. I have never seen any "over inlet" parts, but they are so close to final, you MUST line them up correctly before you finish letting them in.
You won't find better parts, better architecture, or better people to work with.
It is absolutely the ONLY pre carve kit I'll use.

SOMEday I hope to get one of they're rifle kits......met them at the shows...super nice folks, the Daughter is very nice and knowledgeable!!!

Back