• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

help needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caintuck rifle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am new to muzzle loading but I recently bought a Lyman great plains rifle 50 caliber recently and was shooting it today and i got a patched bullet stuck exactly half way down the bore with 60 grains of FFg black powder behind it.So it needs to come out,any help is much appreciated. Thanks caintuck rifle

Is it a caplock? If you don't have or don't want to use a ball puller ( Example ), several places sell CO2 adapters for this purpose, and I imagine a air compressor could be used in a pinch. Those are my first thoughts, someone else might have more ideas & experience. As I'm sure you've already guessed, don't try to shoot it out.

Hope all ends well for you!

P.S. Welcome to the forum :hatsoff:

deadly caintuck said:
I am new to muzzle loading but I recently bought a Lyman great plains rifle 50 caliber recently and was shooting it today and i got a patched bullet stuck exactly half way down the bore with 60 grains of FFg black powder behind it.So it needs to come out,any help is much appreciated. Thanks caintuck rifle

You can get a ball puller and try it, but the ball may be so jammed, it will just pull through the lead.

Remove the nipple, pour out approximatly 30grains or even 40grains, replace the nipple reset the ball and patch, Max load for that pistol is 30grains, so you should be just fine. BUT don't shoot it with 60..... :nono: ...I have a 50 and a 54 in the same mfg, they shoot great...or at least i like mine.

Grey Hawk

I would pour denatured alcohol down the barrel and clean the exposed part of the barrel ASAP. Rust and corrosion is going to build up fast.

Purchase one of the CO2 cartridge dischargers (Log Cabin has them). You will thank yourself many times over in the future for doing so.

Whenever a person gets a patched roundball stuck in the bore of their rifles all they have to do is to pour a teaspoon or so of water down the bore, sit the gun aside for a minute and then proceed to ram the patched ball down the bore as usual.

The water will soak into the patch and soften the fouling every time if you give it a chance to work.

You should be able to hammer the ball down against the powder and shoot it out. The worst that can happen will be the patch shredding, and they usually do.

I can remember twice having a really stuck ball halfway down the barrel. Once, while reloading after knocking an elk down. I just put the ramrod into the barrel and hammered the whole rifle into a tree, like I was trying to bayonet the tree with the ramrod. The rifle adds alot of weight and inertia. Another time was during practice. I did the same trick with the ramrod against my jeep bumper. Give it a try. Bill

Follow zonie's advice,works like a charm. Oil will work too but water works quicker. This usually happens when you let fouling build up too much for your lube to counteract. It may be a sign that you need a better lube.The other option is to swab between shots.

snowdragon said:
I can remember twice having a really stuck ball halfway down the barrel. Once, while reloading after knocking an elk down. I just put the ramrod into the barrel and hammered the whole rifle into a tree, like I was trying to bayonet the tree with the ramrod. The rifle adds alot of weight and inertia. Another time was during practice. I did the same trick with the ramrod against my jeep bumper. Give it a try. Bill

If you're gonna do that, and I'm not saying it's right or wrong, you should hold the outside tip of the rammer against the tree with one hand and the rifle cradled with the other and shove the rifle at it with the other end of the rod just a few inches "clear" of the ball. If you take a running start at the tree and the tip slides off bark or whatever you'll split the rod when it takes the force at a bad angle.

Zonie's idea of soaking the patch with water or powder solvent a few minutes first is better.

Right on Stumpkiller. And if you break the rod and wedge it in there with the stuck ball, you've got real trouble. In any event, this is a good case for a stout metal range rod.

I have one from October Country and one from MBS and am happy with them both. I will say the MBS rod came shipped in a PVC pipe which I thought was a very nice touch. It also depends on what type of rod handle you're after - T-handle, ball, etc.

deadly caintuck said:
Where do you folks get your heavy brass range rods or make them?

I get brass tubing from metals suppliers. A 3/8" brass tube with a 1/8" wall or with a 1/16" wall will make great ramrods.
I use 1/8" wall. The hole down the center makes it really easy to tap it for a cleaning jag.

Latest posts

Back