• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

removing excess wood?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc45-70

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I always read on this forum that you are to make sure you remove enough wood from your builds.

But I was thinking that I may have gone to far on my latest build.

103.jpg

104.jpg

100.jpg

Any thoughts? :idunno:

SC45-70

Very interesting gun :wink: . You did a nice job :thumbsup:. It does have the "cool factor" going for it. Did you have plans for it or did you design it on your own? How about that rear sight - home made or store bought? I can see a nice target pistol in there :hmm: .

Thanks guys

It's my design!

No blueprints. I just started building parts untill it was done.

I built the action, grip frame & grips, stock, ram rod tube and rear site.

SC45-70

sc45-70 said:
Thanks guys

It's my design!

No blueprints. I just started building parts untill it was done.

I built the action, grip frame & grips, stock, ram rod tube and rear site.

SC45-70

Beautiful work sir! I'll bet it shoots as good as it looks, too.

If you are concerned you may have gone a bit overboard with wood removal, you can always add some back by installing a vertical fore grip ala Mr. Thompson's "Chicago Typewriter". :rotf: Or perhaps a Picatinny rail made of walnut, upon which you can mount a period-correct acetylene miner's lamp for the occasional night shoot?:rotf: :rotf:

All kidding aside, your work looks just splendid. :hatsoff:

Thanks again guy's

I like the idea of the acetylene miners light for night shoots. It would make for some exciting reloading in the dark!
:rotf:

SC45-70

Oh that is NICE, and so simple. Of course the craftmanship involved wasn't simple.

Kind of a cross between Jeramiah Johnson, and the original Day of the Jackal. :thumbsup: Bill

Grips are way too bulky; slim them down. You want to starve the termites. :wink:

Nice build! :thumbsup:

Does it have a breech plug I can't see or is that all barrel with the back part un-drilled and slotted for the trigger and hammer? Really nice I wish I had the skill make something like that.

The action started out as a round bar.
The end of the bar was turned down and threaded.

pistolrifle001.jpg

The barrel was torqued to the threaded round bar.

pistolrifle002-1.jpg

The bar was machined octagon then milled and drilled for hammer, trigger, ect.

pistolrifle004-1.jpg

pistolrifle.jpg

pistolrifle009.jpg

SC45-70

Ok, I see the end of the breech now. That's one way to match up the flats on the breechplug, screw on a big round plug and mill it to match the barrel (is that cheating? :hmm: ).

One cool gun :thumbsup: . Bill

What was the material you used for the breech plug? (what alloy).

I really should ask about the alloy for all the parts.

The breech plug is a threaded portion of the action and was made from cold rolled steel (1018)

The grip frame was hot rolled steel 3/8x2 inch flat bar. 2 pieces screwed together. (don't know the alloy)

The ram rod tube is a conbination of 1/4 inch natural gas pipe with a piece of 1/4 inch automotive fuel line pressed and hard silver soldered inside
(don't know the alloy of either of these)

The hammer, trigger,and hammer spring-trigger guard were purchased.

The barrel is Colerain.

SC45-70

Back