• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Split the ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffinNZ

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally I am getting a MLer section going in our club.
Can I see some photos of set ups for 'split the ball'? Do you use plates either side or clays.

clay birds..if you can get down to change them everyshot,,also seen metal plates same size as birds hanging on chains on each side of axehead.....cut the feather or cut the card easier to set up,, an cheaper.. :wink:

My club has metal swingers on either side of the axe head. Don't have to stop the action to replace birds this way......just in case someone actually splits the ball.

my 69cal long gun would be a good ball splitting rifle-- :idunno: --just kidding--what is the cal limit?

Rubincam,
No limit that I know of, outside of what each club may set. I have split ball with as small as .40.
Mark

Easiest way to set up is with a double bitted ax stuck in a stump with nails on either side to hold clay birds. Shoot this at 12 to 15 yards. Anyone that hits the wooden handle has to put in a new handle.

Hanging charcoal briquets is a fun target, so is cutting a feather or a card.

To really mess people up try glass beads at 15 feet. You have to take in account the height of the front sight and the thickness of the barrel in order to hit something that small that close. :grin:

Many Klatch

i have split the ball many times over the years only missed 3 times in fact. i have used a .40 .45 .50 and a .54. al so cut the card just about every time.

the one that gave me the most trouble was the 2 strings tied in a X and you had to cut both.

Latest posts

Back