• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Badger Fur Flap...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpottedBull

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is that bag that I was asking questions about concerning the hairy flap...didn't turn out toooo bad I reckon.

f660b1cc.jpg

bb2c4b0b.jpg

12e623c9.jpg

Well upon further review, as the nfl says, that is not a badger hide...but a coon butt. Seems my lack of an accurate fur knowledge has bitten me...so to speak...boy do I feel dumb.

Spotted Bull said:
Well upon further review, as the nfl says, that is not a badger hide...but a coon butt. Seems my lack of an accurate fur knowledge has bitten me...so to speak...boy do I feel dumb.

I thought it looked like 'coon. I've killed a bunch to recognize. But have never killed a badger so couln't be sure.
However, IMHO, I think the bag is overdone.

A friend made a bag with a coyote skin an tail as a "flap", but soon found that tail was a royal PITA! It not only caught on everything, but managed to get between his legs when he least wanted it there( going up and down inclines)and causing him to trip.

He changed the flap. :shocked2:

:thumbsup: Looks Great!
that said... with the tail on,, :hmm: look great on the wall...but bag, tailless , be great to hunt with! good job! :hatsoff:

Swampy I have been thinking of getting a possum hide and make a bag from the entire hide...like that bag.

I did sorta... :haha: A guy wanted the head on a flap like this, once I was done with it there was enough left over to do the tail end. I have a Cross Fox pelt sitting here that eventually I'll make a bag using the entire pelt, just haven't gotten to it yet.

possumbag1.jpg

How are you gentleman attaching the fur to the flaps underneath? I don't see obvious stitching on the underside of the raccoon tail bag, or on the top of the opossum head bag...

I used a good leather glue to attach the hide to the flap and used the stitches attaching the flap to the bag to further hold it on.

Barge glue and I used regular beige sewing thread and very carefully and tediously stitched the edge all the way around to help secure it. I didn't want the stitch to be noticeable. It was then attached to the bag using a 5 ply waxed thread. Not something I want to do everyday thats for sure. :haha: Much rather deal with the back end for flaps....

Latest posts

Back