• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

conical lube mix ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been shooting 32 maxiballs in a 32 Crockett .So far i have used Crisco straight and also with a bit of beeswax added.Accuracy is good but Crisco is too messy for field use and the added beeswax mix is slick and tending to fall out of the lube grooves.My smokeless plainbase bullet lube is 50-50 Vaseline and canning wax with a small amount of old RCBS case lube(Darr#2) it is the consistency i wish i could get with a conical lube.Any ideas?

George

Emerit's With Lanolin
4 parts bees wax
4 parts canola oil
2 parts lanolin
all measurements by volume

I use this for conicals for muzzleloaders & BPCR

I agree Crisco is messy. Plus it is too runny in warm weather and too hard in cold. Wuthluss, IMHO.
I suggest you just play with combinations of beeswax and parrafin or and oil (peanut, olive, etc.) until you find the exact hardness you that works for you. Or you can buy expensive lubes made for modern pistol bullets. I prefer the cheapie route.

I'll give Emerits a try.I have some i used in a 30 caliber plainbase rifle with the Pope 308403 a year or two ago.I hadn't thought about going that route.

George

Vearl said:
I'm with Running Lead.
Use the same type of lube.
Works for me.

Yeah, I use almost the same thing with beeswax, lanolin and olive oil. If someone figures out the best way to get rid of the summer time heat softening traits of home made conical lubes so that one mix would do it all they would deserve eternal kudos.

Back