• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoppes#9

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa woods roamer

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally had a chance to try the Hoppes today. How wet do the Patches have to be?? I usually spit patch and with this stuff I ended up with slippery Fingers and a gooey mess!! I`m thinking maybe they just needed to be on the damp side and save a mess ?? Was impressed with not having to clean between shots in my .45 though.

range shooting.. wet patch..not dripping.. but wet! Hunting.. wet also with a wool bore button-wad between powder and patch.
Others here use different material between the powder and patch with good effect.
Makes for a pleasant range session!

I wet my patches and let them dry some, then return them to a pill bottle. I have some that have been in the bottle now for over a year.
When I pull them out they don't feel wet at all but there is enough juice in them to make good patches.
So I guess you can do it both ways I prefer the slightly drier method and still have good results.

Lead Slinger said:
Finally had a chance to try the Hoppes today. How wet do the Patches have to be?? I usually spit patch and with this stuff I ended up with slippery Fingers and a gooey mess!! I`m thinking maybe they just needed to be on the damp side and save a mess ?? Was impressed with not having to clean between shots in my .45 though.
I prefer wet, but not dripping wet. Hoppes #9 is great stuff, so is Ballistol. I have had the same experience with spit patches.

Lead Slinger said:
Finally had a chance to try the Hoppes today. How wet do the Patches have to be?? I usually spit patch and with this stuff I ended up with slippery Fingers and a gooey mess!! I`m thinking maybe they just needed to be on the damp side and save a mess ??

I only use Hoppes at the range, and squeeze a few squirts into a bag of Oxyoke or T/C label patches to get them all glistening wet.
(I keep a cloth in front of me where my short starter & pan primer lay...dab my fingertips on it if they need it)

Was impressed with not having to clean between shots in my .45 though.

And that's the bottom line for me...I like to go to the range to shoot, not clean the bore 40-50 times...LOL

Like roundball, I use Hoppes at the range and anytime I do a lot of casual shooting. I use Hoppes for hunting as well but only if I fire the rifle and reload. The first load of the day in the woods is always a grease type lube so in reality a minority of game is actually taken using Hoppes.

I like my patches wet but not drippy. Patches that I've had around that have dried out still work just fine, too. Rarely do I have to re-wet patches with Hoppes. For the slippery fingers, I use a towel at the range to stay dry. In the woods I use precut/lubed patches and usually have no problems. If needed I just wipe my fingers on my clothes.....country boy, you understand. :grin:

Okay, I'm going to ask the stupid question for the sake of clarity: Are you using Hoppes Plus BP Solvent, or regular Hoppes?

I was wondering the same thing, if its just the regular hopped I have some and try it next time at the range may go ahead and soak a roll of patching and let it be getting good lol

It`s the Hoppe`s #9 Plus Black Powder Solvent and Patch Lubricant stuff. When at a woodswalk and Mt. Man shoot, I`ll string my Patches on a piece of Artificial Sinew and attach it to my Possible Pouch.Then I just peel off one as needed. If the Patches need not be dripping wet, this should still be able to do.

Cowboy2 said:
Okay, I'm going to ask the stupid question for the sake of clarity: Are you using Hoppes Plus BP Solvent, or regular Hoppes?
HOPPEs PLUS”¦and be aware they have a few similar but different labels.

1st photo shows the word PLUS on the front.
2nd Photo doesn’t”¦it’s in the text around on the back.

NewStyle8ozbottle-1.jpg

WithoutPLUSonfrontlabel060-999.jpg

Whats the going price for a bottle of that ive never seen it in a store round here

bbs383ci said:
Whats the going price for a bottle of that ive never seen it in a store round here

I paid $6.99 for the size bvottle that Roundball showed. Works great!

I think my last order before Christmas was a 10-pak through Amazon.com for around $6.00/bottle...no tax, free shipping over $25, etc...Amazon will list several sources.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I am talking about Hoppes #9 BP solvent/lube. Don't try to use the nitro stuff; that's for smokeless powder.

PICT0593-1.jpg

This is the last Hoppes I bought. It's a heavy gauge drum holding a gallon; that's enough to last a long time. I got it a couple of years ago and there's plenty left.

Roundball,That stuff must have gone up alot.To get Free Super Saving Shipping it's over $9.00 a bottle from Amazon.One of the other vendors has free shipping for around $7.40 a bottle.Some of the others have it for around $5 a bottle but shipping is high.Another question.I know you buy alot of Pre-lubed patches,where can I buy some in bulk or where is the best place to get them price wise.I have done a ton of searching on the net and don't see any deals there.All over $5.00 a bag pre-lubed 100 pack.Thanks.

Roundball,Got to looking at Amazon again about the Hoppes +. If you spend over $24.16 at Optix Planet you get free shipping at $5.79 a bottle.I think I'll go that route.

Latest posts

Back