• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

my short-short starters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Shown below are three short-short starters I use when target shooting. I usually use tighter ball/patch combos for target shooting and it is difficult to seat those by normal means. I'll use a short-short starter to seat the ball about 1/8" below the muzzle. Then I cut my patch, then I use a normal short starter, about 3" and follow with the ramrod. These are bore size specific. One on left was made by Pete Allen and is .45 cal. The Delrin in center is lathe turned and is .50 cal the aluminum one on the right is .45 cal.
shortshortstarters.jpg
[/img]

Frank, I assume you need a mallet to start the balls? Good idea for range shooting with tight patch/ball. :thumbsup:

PICT0582-1.jpg

This is one of my short, short starters; I've made several. Since I don't do precision target work like you do this is all I need for the woods. Basically, I just think it's kinda cute. :grin:

Oh, I should mention since you have them carefully machined and caliber specific I'd bet you get zero ball deformation. :thumbsup: I also apologize for the thread hijack; just wasn't thinking.

zero ball deformation.

Hey! I'm the guy that usually starts the big arguments here. :wink:
Next, I'll bet you are going to say something about obturation. :shocked2:
Really, the machined concave ends probably do reduce some of the flattening but, in reality, I have no idea how much these things affect accuracy. We could debate that until we are old. Oh, never mind. I'm already old. :surrender:

FWIW:
From dictionary.com:
obturate:
"to close (a hole or cavity) so as to prevent a flow of gas through it, especially the escape of explosive gas from a gun tube during firing."

obdurate:
"
unmoved by persuasion, pity, or tender feelings; stubborn; unyielding.

stubbornly resistant to moral influence; persistently impenitent: an obdurate sinner."

Last edited by a moderator:
Back