• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC Hawken flints/frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkyeager1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
TC Hawken flints (facing frizzen) = Bevel up or bevel down???

Flint resting against frizzen at half cock or 1/16" to 1/8" gap between flint and frizzen???

What works best, I've been reading conflicting advice???? :surrender:

bky1 said:

Put it up or down you want it to strikes the frizzen higher

Flint resting against frizzen at half cock or 1/16" to 1/8" gap between flint and frizzen???

1/16, never touching.

bky1 said:

Using good Fuller 3/4"W x 7/8"L english flints, bevel up always worked best in my T/C locks...all but touching the frizzen at half cock.
(sheet of paper away from the frizzen)

After about 40 shots, give or take, as they're starting to wear shorter, flipping them over to bevel down raises the leading edge and regains the best flint to frizzen impact area & angle.
(keeping a few thicker than normal flint leathers on hand helps position & hold a shortened flint further forward to make up for its wear)

The ultimate goal is to have the flint impacting on a slightly downward shaving angle, not hitting straight square into the frizzen face.
Hitting too square makes less sparks, reduces flint life, and cuts a groove in the frizzen face.

SAVE5CLOSEUPNewStyleLockArea800REDU.jpg

I do what Roundball does, and this works for me, too (except I use lead not leather for flintwrap, but that's a whole 'nother "spitting contest").

There- now you have the two classic rockbanger questions going at once:

bevel up or bevel down
and
Leather or lead

let the fur fly!

let the fur fly!

There should be not fur flying, if people will just be honest about it! :wink:
They both work. :shocked2:
Leather is easier to get to work so I prefer it but I can use lead just the same.
I think if you put the “goods” in one column and the “bads” in another, leather has more goods than lead does.
But they both work. :hmm:

ebiggs, you're right, again... i have several rifles, and most of them seem to prefer a leather flintwrap, but the T/C like lead... i guess the 'take home' point of this is to try both and see what works best in that particular gun.

these are such tempermental gadgets, almost as bad as good violins or my old stand of bagpipes.

that's why we love 'em, isn't it?

Latest posts

Back