• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wabbit for dinner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wanted to share with you all, what a great day in the woods I had today.
I woke up this morning with a dusting of snow on the ground and I thought to myself, I need to go chase wabbits! I Called into work and let them know I would be a little late and grabbed my stuff. I pulled off the highway down a Forest road until I cut some fresh bunny tracks. I got down, put my bag and horn over my shoulder, loaded my .45 flinter with 40 grains of FFF under one of my hand cast round balls, put my cows knee on my lock and started off following the little tracks in the snow.
It was a beautiful morning with the fresh snow on the trees and clear blue skies. There were tracks everywhere. As I followed along I saw a bunny dart out from some oak brush. He just went a short distance and stopped. As I tried to get a better angle for a shot and cut the distance he moved up the hill a bit further and stood up on his hind legs to look back at me. He was about 30 yards away, I pulled up my rifle, pulled the hammer back and set the trigger in one fluid motion. I settled the sights on his little noggin and touched her off!! My long rifle cracked and spit smoke and the bunny lay there in the snow. I gave thanks for a clean kill, reloaded my rifle and moved on up the hill.
I had not gone 100 yards when I cut another set of tracks. As I slowly eased my way through the cold February woods I spied another bunny sunning itself but as I went to raise my rifle it darted into the safety of its hole. I continued on easing my way back to my truck and following any tracks that lead that direction, always looking ahead for that little spot of an eye, or the pink glow of sun through an ear, or the round ball of soft brown against the icy white ground. When I saw the little ball of fur perched atop a stump sunning himself, not 15 yards away, I stopped in my tracks. I lay down my earlier prize and pulled up my rifle, again it cracked in the early morning cold and puffed smoke. When the smoke cleared the bunny was no longer perched on his stump but lying in snow at its base, another clean kill, Praise be!
I had enough for the pot so I gathered up my second prize and headed to the truck. After snapping a few photos and cleaning my dinner I headed into work. I cannot begin to explain how energized I felt as I walked through the door of my office. I give thanks everyday to be able to enjoy the outdoors the way we do, with flintlock in hand!
Thank you to all of you who have fought and served so that we may enjoy these things as free men and women!
I hope all of you have many days in the woods! It does not get any better than this. Wabbit for Dinner!!

flintlockBunnies2.jpg

Great story, thanks for sharing. I've been trying a couple times, but cannot connect. When I have the chance to go, weathers not good.... Glad someone's having some "trigger time".

Congrats great story. Should be some good eats there. Good lookin flintlock :thumbsup:

Coming out of the woods with a rabbit or two has it's own good feeling, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. It was a great Morning. Its snowing again now so I may be "sick" in the morning for a few hours again!!

Its great to have a place like this to share something so wonderfull with a bunch of great guys and gals! Just knowing that we can choose to go out and provide for our families with a little powder an lead is a gift!

You all take care and strait shooting!!

Good story and a fine hunt. Rabbit is fine eating, IMO; much better than squirrel. I, too, would like to hear more about that fine rifle.

Just a thought but none of them were members of Bugs' family, I trust. Leave him to Elmer, is my philosophy. :wink:

Have not had a chance to go out again, been real buisy here at work and at home! Thanks guys for the nice comments!!
Well the rifle is my first ever scratch build.
Under the Watchfull guidance of Dennis McCandless. I built this rifle in college back in 1999. (Wow that was along time ago!)The wood is a Tiger Hunt Maple Blank. the Barrel is a Sharron Barrel in .45 x 41inches that Dennis had on hand. The lock is an L&R, Davis Trigger and the trigger guard and pipes are from Track. I hammered the buttplate. There is a piece of Whitetail antler in the butt from a shed I picked up in Oregon.
She is a strait shooter when I can keep the screw behind the buttplate tight!! She is not finicky at all, she putts a cast .440 roundball right where i'm pointing with 40 grains or 80 grains of FFF. I have taken 2 whitetails and several Rabbits with her! I have yet to take a Mule deer with her but maybe this next hunting season She has won me lots of plunder at Rondy too!!!
I wish there was more time to build, I been building a 40 for my nephew for longer than I care to admitt. Just need to make time to work on it.
Take care and shoot strait!!

Back