• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

POI shift and patch thickness

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacobillie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I tried a few different patch combinations in my .45 TC Hawken today. My previous load was .440 ball and .015 patch. I tried both .445 ball with .015 patch, and .440 ball with .018 patch. Both combinations shot to about the same POI, which was left and low, relative to the original combination's POI. My conclusion is that the tighter ball/ patch combo spins a bit faster and as a result of the barrel having a RH twist, the ball moves left and down a bit because of the added spin drift, just like hitting a hook when playing golf. Is my understanding correct? Does this match your own experience?

Pacobillie said:
My conclusion is that the tighter ball/ patch combo spins a bit faster
I've had POI shifts when changing PRB combos or lube...I can't scientifically explain why but the direction of twist rotation may well enter into the direction of the POI shifts...but really don't know.

Rifling twist is what it is...ie: a 1:48" bore is only going to rotate the ball one full turn in 48" no matter the PRB combo...I guess different amounts of powder / velocity would change what I think of as the amount of torque on the PRB combo as it moves up the rifling.

Others more knowledgeable might have a more definitive answer...

I'm not sure about the explanation, but I don't think it fits my experience. I regularly shoot light (~30 grains), medium (~60 grains) and heavy (anywhere from 90 to 120 grains, depending) of powder through 50, 54 and 58 caliber rifles for different uses. Yeah, as range stretches I get some vertical movement due to velocity changes, but not enough to write home about. I've never seen a shift such as yours at 25 and 50 yards even with I suspect a whole lot more change in velocity. There's no left/right deflection with any of them.

Sorry guys. I got this backwards. The POI actually moved right and I adjusted the sights left.

Sorry about this.

It has been my personal experience that tighter combinations raise the point of impact by the fact that a tighter ball/patch combination yeilds slightly more recoil causing the barrel to rise . :idunno: :idunno:

Not enuf info to conclude anything.
What size are the groups, that is all that matters. Git yer load then adjust sights. Where you shooting from the bench? Did you have an observer that is familiar with benchrest shooting? That can be important. Your hold, breathing, amount of coffee you had that a.m., moon phases, etc. can/will affect POI.
BTW: tighter ball/patch combos can raise POI because of increased pressure. Not much but enuf to lose that 'X' score.

Back