• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What ram rod size.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEARL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just purchased a 54 Cal. 1/60 twist Lyman barrel.
Doesn't come with a ram rod.
Can anyone tell me what diameter rod I need to by from TOTW. They have several sizes in Hickory.
Thanks.

I make my own and a 7/16 works well for me, a 3/8 is just a little to small, it will work it's way out in the woods..

The standard factory ramrod on my Lyman GPR measures .368-.370 diameter.

That would make a 3/8" (.375) diameter ramrod just the right size.

What size are the rod pipes? Probably 3/8" (.375). But nominal 3/8 ram rods (wooden ones) are probably about .360. I make my own by reducing a larger size, even 7/16", to about .380, or whatever size will fit smoothly through the pipes. I attach a rod tip and if necessary file that down to just slip through the pipes. If the rod hole in the stock is too tight, I open that up a bit until the rod fits freely. You have to allow for wood swelling with wet weather.

Measure your thimbles first. Easy to do by trying to fit drill bits inside. A 3/8" is probably correct. But, understand, often the end must be sanded down to make it fit into the rifle.

Back