• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

average groups with prb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i am using .016" pillow ticking patches and spit :grin:

its an tc renegade

50 gr. goex powder fffg

bbs383ci said:
i am using .016" pillow ticking patches and spit :grin:

its an tc renegade

50 gr. goex powder fffg

With your shallow rifling, I wouldn't use any thicker than .016 patching. Have you tried 60 gr. FFFg?

Spit is OK for target practice, but I would hesitate to leave it in the barrel too long as when hunting, it may cause your barrel to rust. Maybe try mink oil, Dixie Gun Works Old Zip, or Ballistol. Maybe Stumpy's Moose snot.

The Renegade is a nice rifle.

for some reason while i was at the range i didnt try any different powder chrges at 50 yards but i did at 100 yards and i didnt see a difference in the groups at all they were all about the same, next time i go ill have to try different charges at 50 yards and see what happens, and yeah for hunting ill probably be using mink oil or something like that.

bbs383ci said:
I am getting into ml and would like to shoot a whitetail with it this year, and was kind of wondering what is the average group size for shooting around 50 yards

Should shoot into the same ragged hole with no wind. But this may require load developement and testing of different lubes etc.
Not saying the shooter can do this every day but the rifle should have that capability.

Dan

bbs383ci said:
where do you get an over powder wad?

A dry patch, bought felt wads, wasp or hornet nest, a wad of toilet paper, all make good op wads. Actually about anything tamped down between prb and powder usually works.

Next time I go to the range ill have to try this in the meantime I think I try running a piece of Scotch btlrite down the barrel a few times to make sure there aren't any burrs

bbs383ci said:
I think I try running a piece of Scotch btlrite down the barrel a few times to make sure there aren't any burrs

NOOO!
Just try a patch on a cleaning jag and "feel" for burrs before ya go scrubbing an otherwise good bore.

Once when I was in the 7th or 8th grade one of my classmates came upon a nest in the woods. Shot the limb w/ a shotgun, and the nest fell down. It was a cold day, and nothing flew out, so he carried it home and put it on the kitchen table....

well i finally measured my group ( i know its been a week now lol ) center to center on the holes 1 and 11/16", or do you measure outside to outside if so add 1/2". this was at fifty yards in a pretty bad cross wind.

Center to center.

I'd be interested to hear more about the hornet's nest on the dinning room table.

In general, with a properly developed load, a rifle with a good barrel should give you groups of 2 inches or less at 50 yards. That is the capability of the rifle with a properly developed load but does not take into consideration the capability of the shooter . You do your part and it will do it's part.

Well, everyone arrived back home before dinner time, and being small town in rural La., the hardware/grocery stores were closing up. It took a few calls to neighbors to round up enough cans of wasp spray to press home the charge and reclaim the house. :grin:

Fortunately, the lights weren't on, so the beasties quieted down after it got good and dark.

Back