• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock pistol for deer...Opinions/Comments?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I realize that accuracy is on me for the most part, but I also realize that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. If I can't get decent groups at distances of what I consider acceptable for a ML handgun, I would not hunt with it. I am a stickler for consistency when loading/shooting and always have been and keep load data for all my ML's. I would spend considerable time developing a load and shooting from a bench to find the gun's accuracy potential and then practice offhand as well to see if I'm capable of shooting acceptable groups. I have a CVA Kentucky .44 percussion that I built 30 yrs. ago and it will shoot 1-1/2" groups at 25 yds. from a rest all day long but I can't use it because the regs state .50 or larger. I may end up with the Trapper, solely because of the "limited use" vs cost factor. On the other hand, the finished cost of the Bounty doesn't outweigh the cost of the Trapper too much considering the quality that Pedersoli is known for...BPS

Thanks for the info!

I just happen to have 24 inches of barrel and think I may make two barrels out of it depending on what I might need cut off for the original breech plug.

Over on Nitroexpress.com forums there was a picture of an elk leg bone that had been hit with a .530 PRB from a .54 pistol and 35 gr load. I don't recall which powder, but it was in SEVEN pieces, and the ball stopped under the hide on the far side.

If I wanted to build one I would listen to Dan and build something .54-62 rifled and heavy enough to take a 50-80 grain charge. Trajectory would still limit you to 50-75 yards tops, but it would take anything in N. America.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray...I have seen that video. It's largely in part what has me turned on to the Pedersoli Bounty. A .50 cal pistol at over 1400fps..WOW! Tell me that isn't enough to take a deer! Still, there is something to be said for a "Horse Pistol" with a heavier piece of lead. I pretty much envision myself taking a deer with one the same way that the guy in the video did...BPS

It doesn't take a lot of horsepower to kill a whitetail up close. Here's a real story:

Two friends were dragging out an elk. Huff, puff, they stopped to catch their reath and stood quietly. A buck was chasing a doe, she stopped suddenly a dozen paces from my friend who was packing a cheap Jukar caplock, .45 cal with a standard load of 35 gr. powder. He shot the doe in the classic boiler room broadside. the deer stumbled along a short ways and laid down DRT. The ball was found on the oposite side against the hide.

His pal shouted at him "now we got two of 'em to drag out!!"

I don't doubt any of it. I know that a .38 special 158 gr round nose lead bullet from a snub nose barrel will take out a whittail too. Ya gotta be close and hit them in the right place. Target accuracy not needed.

For longer distance with a pistol I prefer a .44 mag with an 8" barrel and lots of practice.

laffindog said:
It doesn't take a lot of horsepower to kill a whitetail up close. Here's a real story:

Two friends were dragging out an elk. Huff, puff, they stopped to catch their reath and stood quietly. A buck was chasing a doe, she stopped suddenly a dozen paces from my friend who was packing a cheap Jukar caplock, .45 cal with a standard load of 35 gr. powder. He shot the doe in the classic boiler room broadside. the deer stumbled along a short ways and laid down DRT. The ball was found on the oposite side against the hide.

His pal shouted at him "now we got two of 'em to drag out!!"

I don't doubt any of it. I know that a .38 special 158 gr round nose lead bullet from a snub nose barrel will take out a whittail too. Ya gotta be close and hit them in the right place. Target accuracy not needed.

For longer distance with a pistol I prefer a .44 mag with an 8" barrel and lots of practice.

I have friends who have killed a lot of deer with 22 rf. Not all headshots either.

Dan

I have friends who have killed a lot of deer with 22 rf. Not all headshots either.

Dan

[/quote]I don't have any "friends" like that. In Pennsylvania we consider them "poachers" and have them arrested when we can...BPS

Long ago I killed a few deer with my super accurate .22 Hornet. Most were neck shots but one large buck gave me such a case of buck fever I couldn't risk a neck shot. Instead I simply did a boiler room shot that dropped him.

Now that kind of energy can easily be exceeded with a 10" flintlock. I own one in .50 cal but in my state you can't use them. I've never chronographed it but an everyday load is with 30grns 3F and it really bucks with 50grns and dead accurate, too.

Blackpowdersmoke said:

Dan

I don't have any "friends" like that. In Pennsylvania we consider them "poachers" and have them arrested when we can...BPS

North Carolina doesn't specify a minimum caliber of rifle legal for deer, nor does it specify centerfire. Pistols must be at least .24 caliber. A .22 LR rimfire rifle IS legal here, although a pretty poor choice. So at least here you wouldn't be poaching just 'cause you're using a .22.

Hmmmm...I didn't know NC allowed .22 rimfire for deer and I have relatives there. In Pa. .22 caliber is the mininum, but it MUST be centerfire. .22 rimfire has always been the poachers weapon of choice because of the low report that it makes...BPS

Its really not so much that they allow 22s specifically, its more of the way the regs are written they don't prohibit them, and some people do use them.

Thank's for sharing the Load Info., I've been saving up to get a Lyman Great Plains Pistol In 50 Cal. Cap Lock that I would like to use for Hunting Deer with but according to Lyman the Max Load for this Model Is 40 Grains of FFF-G, And the 54 Cal. at 50 Grains of FFF-G "I was wondering If the 50 Cal with Round Ball & a 40 Grain Load would have enough power for close range Deer Hunting or should I get the 54 Cal Lyman Great Plains Pistol for Deer Hunting at close Range ? Here's the Lyman Info. http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/lyman_blackpowder.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
BPS in pa any centerfire cartridge is legal for deer in the regular season, even a 2mm Kolibri.

Other posts have confirmed that a ml bp pistol will take a deer.
But, as a former pistol competitor (modern and ml) I can well tell you the key is practice, practice and much more practice.
Pistols are not easy to shoot accurately. Especially in the adrenaline pumping excitement of a hunt after hiking and getting out of breath.
I knew a fellow who regularly killed deer with an old repro brass framed Army .44.
I think most states do not allow pistols for deer hunting because they belive (rightly, IMHO) that most who might carry them are not expert enough to cleanly take a deer and would cause more wounding and loss than anything else.
Forget the sniper stuff, these are short range firearms.

zimmerstutzen said:
BPS in pa any centerfire cartridge is legal for deer in the regular season, even a 2mm Kolibri.
Zimmer you're right, I cannot find any reference to .22 cal being the minimum in our Hunting guide. It does still specify centerfire. They must have changed the law recently, as .22 was the min for years. However, they do state a .27 cal centerfire min for Elk...BPS

Back