• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathan Browning Vs. Lyman Great Plains??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooter50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I want a .54 Cal with a round ball twist. I already have 2 T/C Renegades 1 with a .54 1:70 twist and 1 a .58 cal 1:70 twist drop in barrels. I also have a custom built (beautiful!!!!) hawken full stock .50 cal Flint Lock and I have a Jonathan Browning .50 cal Percussion with a 1:60 twist and I want a .54 cal percussion rifle with a round ball twist I am leaning towards another Jonathan Browning and/or a GPR. What do yall fella's think? Here is my thinking....Jonathan Brownings are beautiful yet parts are nill... GPR's are a dime a dozen, parts are everywhere, and they are tack drivers, but they they are made in Italy and Brownings are made in the good ole USA and very unique and are tack drivers as well. What do What yall think? I am selling a T/C Renegade in .54 Cal with T/C fiber optic sights, a .54 Renegade barrel with a T/C offset scope base, and a T/C Renegade in .50 cal to fund my new rifle. I have a T/C Big Boar on Gunbroker right now being sold paying for the .50 Cal Jonathan Browning I just purchased. GPR vs Jonathan Browning?????

I have no hands-on experience with the Browning, but it would get my vote because of its rariety compared to the GPR, and because of Browning's reputation for quality. I have a .54 caliber GPR flinter and, as you stated they're tack drivers. You can pick up a GPR almost anytime. Get the Browning if a good opportunity presents itself.

Cleburne

Both are well made rifles. Since they are no longer made, Finding parts for the Jonatnan Browning will be a problem. If you purchase the Browning and need a part you can probably have one custom made but it will be expensive. Because of this I would opt for the Lyman Great Plains Rifle if it were me.

I'd go with the GPR. They're common, inexpensive, parts are available, warranty service is available through Dixon's, you won't have a heart attack if something happens to it, you can easily replace the barrel if you mess it up somehow, and you won't be afraid to use it in bad conditions.

That said, Lyman/Investarms QC can uneven in my limited experience. Whatever GPR you buy should be carefully examined for fit & finish issues before committing. You might want to buy it through Dixon's if you have the opportunity. They usually have several to pick from.

I'm going to come at it from a bit of a different angle, though I agree on the parts question.

Owning both and shooting them side by side, I find the Browning a lot bulkier somehow. Whether you prefer the GPR and consider the Browning "clunky," or conversely, prefer the Browning and consider the GPR "whippy," you'll definitely notice the difference in feel.

I happen to prefer the balance and overall feel of the GPR, so I dumped the Browning. I've got a GRRW Hawken 58 cal that weighs a whopping 12 pounds, yet even it feels "trimmer" somehow than the browning in spite of the weight difference. I can't say about your own custom Hawken, but if it feels trimmer than the Browning and you like that, you might find that you like the GPR better than the Browning, too.

If you want something special, get the .54 GPR in a kit. You can put a customized finish on the wood and metal to look like no other. The kits are very easy to put together and will save you some money at the same time. I have two .54 GPRs, one percussion and one flint that I built from a kit. Just another option to think about :v

I too own both in .50. I find the GPR handles and fits me soo much better than the Browning. Now with that said i wouldn't hesitate to buy another Browning but it wouldn't be an "everyday" rifle. The GPR is just so much easier to work on too. Good luck.

I have never honestly handled a GPR, but I have always liked their looks. I do like the feel of my Browning compared to my Renegades with the 32" GM barrels. The Browning is lighter and just feels better to me. I will hunt with my Browning. It is in great shape but it does have a few handling marks so I won't mind if I were to put another ding or two on it lugging it up the mountain and the GPR's have 15/16" barrels compared to my 1" GM barrels. So I figure I can switch between the 50 cal Browning and 54 cal GPR and save my GM barrels for target work. I just prefer hunting with a .54 because all I use is PRB, but have Killed deer with both 50 cal and 54 cal with equal success but prefer the .54. I will save a few bucks and try to find me a used GPR, but that dose not mean I wouldn't like another JBMR in .54 :wink: I can see it now next hunting season deciding whether to carry the 50 JBMR or the GPR 54???? Decisions Decisions??? Thanks for the input guys.

I have a GPR .54 with the slow twist it shoots great but the trigger sucks in my opinion. My cousin has/had a Browning in .50cal the first one they had to send back because the breach leaked. I shot the second one he had I would love to have that rifle. I would trade/sell my GPR if I could find a Browning in great shape. As the others have said parts might be a real problem with the Browning.

Buy both life is to short. :grin:

I only saw one Browning and it was gone before I could get back with the money for it.I own a GPR and while they are a good rifle I would go for th e Browning. As far as parts are concerned while I doubt that you'll need any I'm sure new locks and triggers can be made to work from all the new parts available today plus there are many smiths that specialize in ML parts and guns. Get the Browning. FRJ

Been quite a while since I've been on here. They are both great rifles. I built a .54 GPR kit and like it very much. It shoots great with prb or Lee R.E.A.L bullets.
I have a friend that "was given" a Johnathan browning in .50cal from an old lady whose husband died. It's a beautiful rifle.
I personally would buy the Johanathan if I had a chance and it was within my means and in good shape.

Latest posts

Back