• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

question-looking four

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madcatter1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello,i am looking for websites where i can purchase smoothbore flintlock pistol for hunting purposes,i am not into time related reinactment stuff,just have a few hunting dogs and had fun yesterday messing with my buddies flint pistol.
anyone know a direct link to something i can buy,nothing needs to be fancy.also some links for 20 gauge shortbarreled smoothbores in 20 gauge.i seen some "canoe"ones but they were all at a grand,i was thinking 3-5 hundred to spend.is it possible?

also another question,i have two tc flintlock guns already,could i just buy a smoothbore 20 gauge barrel and make it work.how do i go about figuring out how to measure for what i would need?thanks for taking time to reply

if you dont mind it being made in india Middlesex Village trading co. has what you need. Fowlers 6-700 pistols 3-500.

One can often find very good deals in the classified on ued guns.

thanks for the help.
i really do mind it being made in india,but i guess i dont have many options.i dont know much about this stuff.
the india made ones--are they safe to shoot often?

madcatter1, much is said of the India- made barrels. I have one, which is now a wall hanger- lovely wood, an interesting looking piece, but it made a very suspicious puff of smoke out of the bottom of the right barrel that last time i fired it, and i asked the person next to me (my wife- i better be able to trust her) "hey, that didn't sound right, did you see something funny?" to which she said something to the effect of 'you'd better retire that one until you have it checked...' once i got it apart to clean it, the crack was obvious, and i simply took the nipples out of it and hung it up.

Does this mean all India- made guns are faulty? of course not, any more than my one bad experience with Volvo means they're all junk, but i sure won't see another one in my driveway in the foreseeable future.

if i were on a limited budget, i'd save my dough and get an American made barrel from Track of the Wolf or Pecatonica. Jim Chambers also makes a really nice looking fowler, which i will probably break down and buy when funds are available. I've built several rifles out of parts sets, and i think that if you have a modicum of common sense and mechanical aptitude, you should be able to produce a serviceable gun. Note that i didn't say it would be a work of art, that it would be historically accurate or period correct, or that it would get you 'oooh's and 'aaah's at the range- just that it would be a solid, reliable, serviceable firearm which would provide many years of service. (Heck- i even got all brave on myself and made a stock from a blank, which turned out to be a tremendously rewarding experience, and i got a custom built, custom fit stock out of it, and i learned a good deal and gained a new appreciation for why stockmakers charge the big bucks).

You will end dropping some major loot on this project- make no mistake, but you will end up with something you will cherish for the rest of your days and which you can pass on to the next generation. I'm pretty sure my kids will auction off my centerfire stuff about twenty minutes post mortem. they'll come to blows over the flintlocks at the wake.

So, in a 'cut to the chase:' save up your bucks, and buy, first, a few good books on gunbuilding. My two 'go to' books are Recreating the American Longrifle Shumway, et al, http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...catId=4&subId=38&styleId=137&partNum=BOOK-RAL and The gunsmith of Grenville County, by Peter Alexander (out of print, as best i can recall).

Then, check out (before you do anything else) the excellent tutorials on this website. Then, get really good at getting a shave ready edge on any and all of your tools. Then check out the Video and DVDs ... a bunch of great "how to" instruction at very reasonable prices.

Then take the plunge.

I started with a parts collection from Track of the Wolf and it was a real eye opener: what i thought would be a straightforward screwdriver affair involved a boatload more work than i thought, but once i had it together, i was hooked ... [insert mad scientist laugh here] ... another one turned to the dark side ... then another build, and another, and now a few on the bench in various stages of completion...

yes, it is an addiction
no, there's not a twelve step program for this.

if you can only have one gun, i would recommend a 20 gauge (.62 cal.) smoothbore flint. I think it's the most versatile muzzle loading gun available.

OK- that's the tirade for tonight ... let me climb down off my soapbox before i fall and get hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:
again thanks for the reply.i also agree with what ya said,i have plenty of time since we only have 4 weeks of bunny season left i will study up on the parts stuff and learn some necessary beginner stuff of all the lingo.i am thinking 700 should get something pretty good with reliable parts.
my beagles aint going anywhere so i dont need to rush
i am also gonna check out some you tube stuff,thanks

Check out Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply, and Track of the Wolf. Both have complete kits for a 20 guage Northwest trade gun. The kits are complete, require the least amount of tools and experience to build, and are pretty cool to boot. They're also historically correct for any time period from the early 1700's to the early 1900's, and any location from new england to oregon. Both can be had for under 650.00

The NW guns mentioned aregood guns and made by several makers most of the ones offered now atre from around 1815 thru 1840 as far as period correct, there were some differnces in them over the various time periods for those interesetd in getting somethiong "period correct"

Back