• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

My Lyman GPR threw a sear spring, please help...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gideon

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Lyman Great Plains Rifle .54 Flintlock...

Not sure what or how, but the sear spring has gone MIA and I didn't remove it.

I'm new to black powder, and have fallen in love with it.
There is a week left in PA late season, and I have had to resort to a modern slug thrower while I wait for a replacement spring...

I contacted Lyman, but they are on back order for the sear spring... If the GPR had a traditional lock I would have it fixed already...

Locally no one has the $1.50 spring and plunger I need... So here's my question...

Does anyone know of a suitable replacement that would work, and where to possibly find one?

I just want to fire a real gun again... And this is my first, and currently only one I have...

Lots of WWII rifles, and some modern ones, but I'm addicted to traditional style forearms now...

Try Dixie Gun Works. They usually have everything you will ever need for a muzzleloader.

Not sure what you mean by a modern slug thrower, but you can only use flintlock long guns in Pennsylvania's late deer season!

Trot said:
Not sure what you mean by a modern slug thrower, but you can only use flintlock long guns in Pennsylvania's late deer season!

There are some special reg area that you can use any weapon and I think thats what he was talking about.

Yup... I live in WMU 5C .

Still shotgun season here as well. I just can't get a Buck with my shotgun...

Thanks for the links... Unfortunately by the time those parts get to me the season will be over...

And with as much as they charge, I'm looking at a 100% to 150% markup... I'll wait for my order from Lyman to come in... $1.50 part. And $5.00 shipping from Lyman... It'll just take a month since its on back order...

Is there another spring one could use...
I can fabricate a plunger end to stabilize the spring as it sits on the sear...

My issue is I know how to fix it, but don't know enough on terminology or parts to get what I need...

I know that the sear spring needs to retain enough tension to push the sear into the tumblers allowing it to half cock and cock properly, otherwise I have an expensive stick or matchlock (which is a pain in the ass to shoot like that)...

The Lyman sear spring/plunger up inside a block of metal on the inside of the lockplate looks like T/Cs...you can use the coil spring out of a ball point pen...cut it's length to what you want, etc.

Note that the pen's coil spring is not quite as robust as an original sear spring so you'll probably want to cut it a couple coils longer than the original to ensure adequate spring tension on the sear...but you'll figure it out...might go through a couple springs experimenting so find a couple of pens

My G-d.. thank you ever so much! I didn't even consider that... I will definitely give that a try!!!

Its a technique some people have used to lighten the amount of heavy force on the sear which in turn lightens the normally horrendously heavy front trigger pull on T/C sidelocks.
I did it once for the hands on experience and know it works, but am a dedicated set trigger guy anyway and didn't leave it in the lock.

Back