• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How to determine the best 'fit'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Et2ss

36 Cal.
Reaction score
When getting a kit or if ordering a custom build, how does one best determine LOP, drop &c?

Mount some guns until one fits well and then measure. Take into account whether the gun will be used in cold weather or not...addt'l clothing requires a shorter LOP.....Fred

Also, what seems to work is to to shoulder the rifle with eyes closed. Pretend to sight in, then open your eyes. It will help determine drop and cast off.

If you are Right Handed, space feet shoulder width apart., shoulder the gun with eyes closed, pivot left from the waist up like you swing left to shoot & open eyes.

If you are looking straight down the barrel & not have to move your head, the gun Fits. If you have to adjust, it doesn't fit correctly.

Keith Lisle

Keith's advice is good- you should heed it. Additionally, there is a bit in Peter Alexander's book The Gunsmith of Grenville County which describes how to make a 'try' stock. This is pretty informative (at least it was for me, a newbie) and when i followed the advice, i got a stock which fits me very well.

best of luck with your upcoming build. send pictures.

we love pictures.

Thanks for the post- I will use your idea next- planning to build myself a 20 gauge fowler.

Your method looks a good bit less slapdash than what i tried last time. (Sounded OK on paper, and it worked, but then again, maybe i just got lucky)

That really helps! Thanks to all. I have been shooting for most of my life. Mostly military surplus stuff. I consider myself a good shot & can pick up any arm & make it hit pretty much where I want it to. I have never had a 'custom' gun of any sorts. If I invest either the time (for a build) or the $ (to commission a build) I want to make sure that it is done right.

I made an adjustable "try" stock out of a piece of scrap plywood. Adjust it until you can open your eyes and be looking right down the sights, measure where it is set and you are good to go.

The trigger is a small nail, a little hard to see but it is there.

trystock.jpg

Latest posts

Back