• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRS French Pulverin Horn parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple more pics:
IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg

Thanks! :thumbsup:

I wonder if that tiny tab piece of brass sticking up on the top piece is ment to hold the spring away from the spout. :hmm:

I think its just a casting sprue. There are 3 "dimples" on the top piece. One is for the locator peg, one for the screw, and one for the peg that holds the valve. Getting the valve on right is the tough part. Dont put a lot of threads on the spout at first. It has to go in far enough to be close to the valve but not to far as to interfere with the spring.

Ok, I reached the point of fitting the bottom piece, scary! I have it close now and it maybe a tad to big still but I need to try to fit it before anymore trimming. I like how thick it is, looks like it will fill out the space between the tabs real nice.

fphorn5.jpg

fphorn6.jpg

When I got mine real close the sides didnt quite fit so I put it in the vise and gave it a tiny squeeze and then it "popped" in.

Hello I just joined this site and was reading post's about the French Pulverin powder horn. I've made quite a few of these for a reenactment group I belong to. These are not a "kit" for the beginner. A lathe and even a milling machine comes in handy. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to help. I just got to figure out this web site.

French Artillery said:
Hello I just joined this site and was reading post's about the French Pulverin powder horn. I've made quite a few of these for a reenactment group I belong to. These are not a "kit" for the beginner. A lathe and even a milling machine comes in handy. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to help. I just got to figure out this web site.
I am deffinately interested and I'd like to hear about your experiences with these. I was thinking about a pulverin to go with a new Fusil.

Using a brass casting is always going to be a challenge when trying to fit it to a horn that's why i fabricate from sheet ,if your brass was cast from soft yellow material try annealing first this will enable you to gentle tap the edges in for a closer fit,
I call this my Bristol horn.
brasshorn001.jpg

(Pete)

Geesh has it been a year since I started this one already...I haven't gotten the parts back from Roy yet and its been so long, this project has been largely forgotten by the both of us it seems. I better remind him again about this. :haha: :thumbsup:

Shhh don't tell him this but I think he made an oopsy with the parts and is secretly waiting for TRS to make more.....could be a long wait! :haha:

A tip for fitting a horn to the Pulverin top or bottom. I've ground, filed, dremel tooled and or sanded the horn. Also when you've got the horn close to fitting you can boil water then put the horn in the pot and let it boil for a while. The horn will get soft and you can shape it like that. Let horn cool back down before removing from brass. That way the horn keeps it's shape. Caution, horn will be a little hot. Once the horn is fitted take it out of the brass pieces and you can then wet sand with 220 then 400. After that you can polish on a buffing wheel for a high shine. I kind a like it left alone after wet sanding with 400. Unless it's a solid black horn. Then I buff to a shine then take 00 fine steel wool and scuff it a bit. Each to his own. As far a sealing the horn up to keep black powder in the Pulverin. Traditionaly they sealed the cracks between the brass and the horn with bee's wax. Get a bee's wax stick and a pot of hot boiling water. Hold the wax stick in the water to get it a little soft, then work it in the cracks. Use your fingers and a wood paint stick (cut to your likeing)and push the wax in the cracks. I also put masking tape on the brass for easy clean up of the extra wax getting where you don't want it.

Latest posts

Back