• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

If i had about 1,000 dollars...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVAED

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to start saving money toward a new long rifle. I am looking to buy a nice flintlock with a curly maple stock and a good lock. I want it in .54. My question is, what would you recomend as far as quality is concerned. I am not aware of the options. Maybe there are no options for this price range. Any adives would be great.

You might look at T.V.M. I believe you could get one for around that price range, might be a couple C notes more. Ask Roundball, or Stoneknife. They have recently purchased Nice rifles from them.

You're are close to the range of an in the white gun from Tip Curtis. All you would have to do is finish the wood, and metal.

Bill

According to their site, most rifles run about $1050 in steel: http://www.avsia.com/tvm/ . I think most, if not all, can be had in your caliber. For $100 less, you can get them in the white and finish it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
With TVM and most other builders for that matter, things like a nicer grade of wood, lock of your choice, patchbox, swamped barrel, etc, will add to that cost. $1000 (+ or -) buys a good quality basic rifle with no frills, just the default gun. This basic rifle from these builders will be a high quality gun, however.

I would decide whether or not Historically correct ment anything to me or if I just wanted a good dependable gun and didn't care about that so much. Then after deciding on a school I would shop around... :v

I'm happy with my TVM so far. It shoots better than I do and it goes off when I want it to. Those are my two requirements for a gun, mines nothing fancy but I'm betting it will hold it's own in the woods.

I would check with Tip Curtis,he usually has rifles ready to go,his rifles are top notch in my opinion in the price range you mention

I skimped and saved and came up with a down payment on
a custom build - It was worth every trouble to get it.
I've shot it for 6 years now and every time I even think of
maybe a new iron I pick up my 54 Beck and just laugh it off.
A custom from a good builder just blows the cookie cutter
guns away - you really find the meaning of "The Golden Means"

BUT!!! It'll be your budget x3 or more.

I've had TVM they are nice and would like to try Tip Curtis
Plus there is always used but it can be a long wait and you
need to be prepared to jump quickly.
I just can't shake this smoothie fever thing though :thumbsup:

In the white gun from Tip. Lots more patterns, better quality, best parts. I'd wait an additional whatever time and buy right the first time. Life's too short for less than the best.

You might also consider a second hand gun. Flintlocks are a lot like excercise bikes in that many users tire of them easily. I have three second hand longrifles, two of which were considerably less than your price point, with the latest right at it. Haven't shot the most recent purchase, but the other two shoot great.

Chambers will run a bit more but most of their gns are based on existing originals and most other top buiders all use Chambers locks, I have had over 3 dozen ML's over the years 10 being parts sets or in the white projects and I would go with Chambers, Brooks or maybe Curtis if they had what I wanted this is for parts sets or in the whites I do not have a list for pre built guns as I am not so sure I would ever go that route again, only reason for an in the white gun is a bad shoulder which keeps getting worse

ihuntsnook said:
You might also consider a second hand gun. Flintlocks are a lot like excercise bikes in that many users tire of them easily. I have three second hand longrifles, two of which were considerably less than your price point, with the latest right at it. Haven't shot the most recent purchase, but the other two shoot great.
Good advice :thumbsup: I wish I would see them laying in the trash like you do the bikes :wink:

If quality components are your main concerns, a Rice bb w/ round bottom rifling and and a Chambers lock would be an excellent start. An "in the white" from Tip Curtis or some others should be w/in your budget. Another avenue is to buy a Chambers parts set and have Mike Brooks or another builder either assemble an "in the white" or price out a complete rifle from them using the Chambers parts set....Good luck.....Fred

For another $500 you can have a very nice CUSTOM Tennessee or southern mountain rifle. My .54 built by Roger Sells of Monterey, TN is a tack-driver and of superb quality - I also have a .36 flintlock he built. PM me if you would like contact info.

No laugh. My last purchase was a very well crafted golden age style flintlock. I have yet to shoot it, but everything about the gun is in order, including incredible workmanship on each and every inlay. You take a chance on any second hand gun bought on the Internet, but I have yet to be disappointed. Not for new guys. You need to be able to know what a gun is worth, and what its resale value might be. That said, there are plenty of flintlocks out there belonging to owners who have neither the patience nor the fortitude to work them out.

I would think a second hand custom gun would be in pretty good shape compared to an OTC gun, even a T/C. Folks who order a custom are more likely to take better care of it that a factory.

Latest posts

Back