• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

First Deer With Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotspark

40 Cal.
Reaction score
flintbuck.jpg

This was my second season hunting with a flint came close last year but no soap. Got him opening day of rifle at 5:eek:opm in pa. Passed a couple of small bucks and several does, glad I waited. I would really like to thank all of you that answered my questions, especially "toomuch36" for meeting me at the range and taking the time to show me how to get things going.

Dandy deer. I plan on buying a flintlock and hunting with it next year, hope i have the same success you do.

And that's a dandy for your first with a Flintlock for sure...congratulations !
:hatsoff:

A better photo, and some more details would be nice too

Nice stud buck Gotspark!!!!!!!!!! If you keep that up I might reconsider my wife's request to move back to Pa. where her family still lives :nono: , well... maybe not........but you got me to thinking anyway :grin: Leebone

Unfortunately that kind of pic is all I have for the family was out of town at the time. Material for the patch is drill,.13" compressed and .490" round ball,load is goex 75 grains.The lube is ballistol and water 8/1 ratio.I went through a very long process of many different kinds of lube,ratio's and patch material and that turned out to be the best,I can tell you the wife was thrilled when I felt I got it right!Something about every flat surface in the house covered in drying patch material made her less than happy with me at the time, but she was a good sport about it. I was sitting about seven yards into the woods looking into a power line (about a third of the way up) that runs up and over a knob in a south to north direction the southern end is very thick with cover and where the does bed. I figured the bucks to be following the bottom of the ridge comming around the bend noseing around in the thick stuff for a new friend then comming up and over the knob where I would be waiting,had a south to south/western wind that day so all was good with that.He came out of the woods from below I watched him very slowly,(painfully) walk in my direction when he got to 40 yards and nicely broadside I took the shot, hit him about two inches or so behind the crease nice neat hole going in and out. He spun around and ran in a semi circle to my right and ended up crashing about 30 yards behind me.What a thrill it was that evening, I could not see with the smoke, the smell of powder the fsst of the primmer and the boom of the load. How could this not grab a hold of you forever? The barb is bone deep and I am joyfully hooked forever... Thanks for your kind words it means alot.

Back