• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Great Grandfather's Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grullaguy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I inherited this rifle almost 30 years ago and it has be sitting in my gun cabinet mostly forgotten. I think it would be really great if I could restore it to shooting condition and harvest a deer with it.
Is it possible?

PC050434.jpg

PC050435.jpg

PC050440.jpg

PC050436.jpg

PC050437.jpg

PC050438.jpg
PC050439.jpg

Is what possible?....restoring the gun or you harvesting a deer with it? HA. Sorry couldn't
resist. Have a qualified gunsmith check it out,
I think it's a great idea. Make sure you go back and hunt where great granddad hunted and wear an
old red plaid woolrich (and a blaze orange vest). I still have my granddads.

First, congrats on having that family heirloom. Shootable or not it is great you have it.
Can't tell much about the rifling, hopefully it still has some.
First, do derust the barrel inside. Evaporust and steel wool should clean it up.
Do have it checked by a competent muzzle loading gunsmith. Failing that, just examine yourself very closely. Pull the nipple and replace.
Load very lightly, shoot and examine for any leaks at the breech and lug/sight dovetails.
If safe, start shooting, work up a hunting load and go hunting. The report back here on results.

Also, judging from one of the other recent threads on here - make sure it's unloaded first!

I took the rifle to a fellow who has built and restored a number of black powder rifles over the years. He put a bore light in it and declared that it "should" shoot after some good cleaning. He gave me the directions to get the rust and worst pitting out, and expects me to have it on the range after Christmas so we can shoot it.
Might be tough as I have everything I need for my .50 but nothing for this rifle. I just measured it and it has a six sided bore with .450 across the flats and .460 in the corners. (including rust)

Yes, The first thing I did 3 decades ago when I got it, was verify there was nothing down the bore. :thumbsup:

If the bore is toast it looks like you have plenty of barrel to have it freshened out to a .50 cal. thats what the oldtimers did when the bore went bad on them.

Kentuckywindage said:
the bore looks toast

Looks it but cleaned it might still shoot to a minute of deer. Sometimes rough bores can/will surprise you. I have a small collection of old single-shot .22s. One of them has a bore so rough you wouldn't use it for a garden stake but it drops critters at amazing distances with consistency.

I have a nice 32 cal mule ear rifle by the same maker. It is one of my favorite shooters.
C.MillerNYMuleEarRifle001.jpg

Beautiful rifle. I love the side hammers.

John and James Miller were quite innovative gun makers and are said to be the first people to ever have a US patent on a revolving rifle.

Back