• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wet weather hunting tactics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioHunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any suggestions for hunting in wet weather with a percussion muzzleloader? In the past I have used a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle of my inline ML and other rifles while hunting to keep rain and debris out of the barrel. I could shoot through it and never effect the accuracy. It seems all the move critical with a percussion ML to keep the wet out, so what tricks do you use?

Underhammer! :grin:

They sell these little black rubber things that look like condoms to cover the front of the barrel. I've found that if you have a flash guard around the nipple, these little condom things will fit over it as well keeping the weather out. Not traditional but effective.

I solved the problem by gettin rid of my cappers and went flintlock. :grin: :thumbsup:

Seriously, what gmww said and I always took the nipple out and dribbled 3F under it till I could see powder. That way your cap goes off right into powder and doesn't hit a corner and then hooks a hard left into the powder channel...never had a missfire when I used cappers in the rain...

BTW check your regs about what you can use. The ones I'm describing are from Traditions. I can't hunt with it but I can use it outdoors for target practice.

Any suggestions for hunting in wet weather with a percussion muzzleloader?

Stay in camp!
Do some dutch oven cooking!
Drink beer!
Sit around the fire and tell lies!
Go fishing!

The main thing whether using flint of percussion is to try to keep your lock covered up. If I am walking in the rain I usually walk with the lock under my arm pit. When in the stand and it starts to rain I put on a plastic poncho and keep the lock area under it. Have never had a problem with my rifle failing to fire.

Sit under a hemlock and put a cow's knee over the lock.

Never saw the sense of taping the muzzle as it's not going to seep past the patched ball even if you submerse it. I always keep my muzzle slightly down even when it's sunny.

When I have been caught out in the rain (I likes hunting in the rain, hides alot of noise) I get my little lube tub out and smear it around the capped and nipple.

With my pedersoli double I didn't bother, it went bang even if the gun was dripping off the capped nipples!

Brits.

Like Swampy i always put a little powder under the nipple then try to keep the lock covered by hand or arm :thumbsup:

I've used those little kits by Traditions that have both the "balloon thing" for the muzzle and little "seals" that go over the cap. But I just don't like the thought of something over the end of the barrel. I could shoot a dozen practice shots and it would show no effect and then I can just see it deflecting a shot when real flesh and blood is in front of me! In fact, I actually had a miss at 40 yards with a solid rest while using one and while I cannot say 100% that the balloon thing caused it, I can't say I miss deer sized targets ever in practice at that range either! That day was not just rain, but freezing icy rain and snow and I think that thing got bungled up and frozen and affected the shot. Hey, it's a good excuse, isn't it!!! :surrender:

Currently, I don't use anything on the muzzle, just keep it pointed down, and I use a cows knee for the lock.

I keep the muzzle pointed down, rain or shine. I cover the lock under my arm in the rain or snow. Same method with Flintlock or percussion cap. I try to keep things simple, one less think to worry about. YMMV

...i agree, but if it gets nasty enough, i pull out the .45 LC and leave the MZ in the car... :(

Swampy said:
Mike Brines said:
I just stay home.

I've shot more than a few deer in the rain. You can't do that if you stay home...

Any day out huntin' is a good day. You only get so many days per season, gotta make use of 'em.

When it rains here, it RAINS. We don't get the soft light rains you guys do out there, we get gulley-washers. :surrender: If you're out in it, everything will get wet. And the rain is cold. We're a mile above sea level where I sit, and up there, it's 9,000 feet. It's not unusual to get a snow storm in June, so it's cold during hunting season, and if you sit in the rain, you will get, in time, hypothermia. So if rain is predicted, I stay home.

Mike Brines said:
When it rains here, it RAINS. We don't get the soft light rains you guys do out there, we get gulley-washers. :surrender: If you're out in it, everything will get wet. And the rain is cold. We're a mile above sea level where I sit, and up there, it's 9,000 feet. It's not unusual to get a snow storm in June, so it's cold during hunting season, and if you sit in the rain, you will get, in time, hypothermia. So if rain is predicted, I stay home.
Thats fair enough friend, the higher you go the more serious it gets :thumbsup:

Brits.

We get plenty of gully-washer-frog-stranglers here too. I've been out when you couldn't see but 20 yards due to the rain. I just wear a rain poncho and rain pants over my hunting clothes when it gets that wet. And keep my gun under the poncho.
It gets cold here too. I've had to chip ice off the sights. :idunno: Maybe not as cold as it gets there tho...

Them 100mph winds you mentioned before would keep me home tho. :surrender:

Latest posts

Back