• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken 45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EL PHANTASMO

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am trying to get my rifle back into shooting condition. I think it is a 70's era gun, about ten years ago I fired it and the nipple blew out stripping the threads. I have recently purchased a barrel that is supposed to be a new barrel that was found in a gun shop that closed in the 70's. I am not really sure though. it has no safety markings and CAL 45, but the rear sight is newer looking than the one on my original barrel. I was going to swap them but the distance between the screw holes is differnt. I would like to know why this "new" barrel has different sights than my original.
IMG_0623.jpg

This is the "new" barrel it is #272736

IMG_0627.jpg

This is my original barrel it is # K18792

I really like my original sight, but I cant figure out why the barrels would have different distance between the mounting screws.

Oh by the way this is my first post, but I have already learned a great deal from this site.
Thanks

El P, You can probably get a tap for a slightly larger nipple + the larger nipple from Track of the Wolf. You may want to ask Ethan (TOW) about this. For very little $, you can have your original bbl. with the sight you like up and running.

Why did they change? Well,, it's because they did. No tuffer than that.

The deal is you only really need 1(one) screw to hold it in reliably. Truth.

So go ahead and swap'm out if you want. The only trick is you need to drive that pin out in front to get at the screws. A small nail or even a large needle with the tip broke off will do.
HPIM0575.jpg

Like Maven said Over Size nipples are available. The Tap, Drill bit and Nipple it'self will set ya back about $25 by the time you get it all shipped to ya. http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Cate...catId=0&subId=0&styleId=0&partNum=TOOL-TAP-05

TC also has a Lifetime Warrenty that will replace the breech plug. Contact TC, ship them the barrel on your dime and a few months later you'll get it back good as new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that is the reason T.C.s cost more than their Italian clones. The life time warranty is often worth the difference in price!.

Thanks guys, The barrel has already had a larger nipple installed, maybe it was not done properly, who knows. I will contact T/C about the barrel. I also found that the tumbler in my lock is broken from the hammer being forced back when the nipple came out. I have not been able to find one online, but I am going to call T/C Monday about the barrel and I will see if they sell tumblers alone.

My stock and brass could use some spiffin up. Do any of you guys have any tips?

The sight on the original barrel looks like an Investarms Hawkin sight. Are you sure that you have a TC Hawkin?

Those are both T/C rear sights...I've owned many T/C barrels over the years with both those types plus another type...just normal T/C product evolution.

Send the lock back to TC as well. They'll probably change it for a new one. :thumbsup:

If Roundball says that both of the sights are TC production sights you can take it to the bank.

No one on this Forum knows more about Thompson Centers Hawken rifles.

I aint been around very long but my 1986 Investarm 50 cal has the exact same sight as your original barrel. what does your orig say across the top?same question about the new barrel,pics hard to read

I just noticed something, your orignal barrel has a "K" prefix.
That means it is/was a kit gun,, I'm not positive but I don't think TC honors the warrenty on kit barrels.
There's no mark on the lock so you should be goo with that, but the barrel I'm not so sure

yer original sight is just like the two on my hawkens. one was made in first year of production, the other about the same time as yers. the top one is the type more commonly found on renegades but did see some use on hawkens. i believe necchi is right about kit gun barrels not bein' covered in the warranty. he's also right about one screw bein' enough to hold the sight on. all my green mountain barrels only had one screw holdin' the sight on even though they're drilled with two holes. since ya already have a replacement barrel just use it and keep the other to practise gunsmithin' stuff on. like bluin'/brownin', modifyin'/personalisin', try fixin' the nipple issue yerself and whatever else ya think of then ya won't hafta worry 'bout messin' it up. just a thought. luck to ya and have a good'en friend, bubba.

Thanks for all the responses! My gun is a T/C it says THOMPSON / CENTER ROCHESTER, NEW HAMPSHIRE CAL 45 and was indeed a kit gun. There is also a K on the stock under the barrel. So the warranty wont apply.

When dissasembling the lock I noticed that the tumbler stuck to my magnetic tray, so I decided to try to fix it myself. I do so love my mig welder! Now after some grinding, a couple good tacks, and some work with a hand file my lock works perfectly.

I was told the barrel I purchaced was the same vintage as my gun, but I think it may be newer even though it says CAL 45 and has no black powder warnings. Does anyone know when the sight styles were changed?

Have a great day everyone, and thanks again for all the info! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Had the same problem with my 70s CVA Mountion Rifle. Tracks tap worked well for me. Cheep andquick.

PS:
I see that there's a like new GM .45cal drop-in for sale in the classifieds...unless you're going to use concials with that damaged barrel you currently have, rather than invest more money having it repaired, GM's drop-in round ball barrels are awfully good.

Send the whole rifle back to TC and ask them to fix the nipple and lock problems. They will install a new breech plug and with the whole rifle in hand the can line up the hammer and niple. This is by far the best way for you to get things fixed.

Back