• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you flatten flints?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifleman1776 said:
I sure find it dissapointing when I buy flints to find most are worse quality thant what we used to throw on the ground as wuthluss. And the prices are outa sight.

I wonder if you could talk a dealer down in price when he's down to mostly humpback flints? Maybe not a huge discount, but enough to pay for the wheely thing.

A "Green Wheel" is for sharpening carbide bits. Carbide is very hard. Green wheels very soft. Don't know how it works, but it does. Haven't tried it on flint. Enco sells the "Green Wheels" as does MSC.

steve

This method is more expensive but if you have a need for a tile saw, it works great. It may not be as expensive at first thought because your flints will last longer than they otherwise would. The big advantage with this set up over any of the little wheels is, it makes the flint flat with perfectly parallel sides. The flint will stay securely in the jaws and square to boot. This little saw was $75 bucks with blade at my Home Depot but like I sat I use it for other stuff also. Plus it only takes seconds to do a flint and just a few minutes to do a bunch. :grin:

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

I've "flatten" about 4 dozen flints (Most were good shape already. Bought about 100 from TOTW 2 years ago) it only takes about 5-10 minutes per flint. Haven't really timed myself so I'm guessing on how long it takes. It's been simple and easy to do. The wheel is narrow so it might take longer than a "fat" wheel takes but time passes quickly and the flint doesn't heat up so....

I picked up a few of these diamond cutter wheels for a Dremel tool from Widget Supply
:thumbsup:
Works for me too. I just throw old flints loose into my range box until I collect a dozen or so before I bother chucking up the diamond cutter wheel in my Dremel.

I also tried JB Weld to both build flints up even and to lengthen old flints that I had resharpened. That experiment was a fail. Half of the time, the JB Weld would crack off once I tried tightening down the jaws on it.

watch out for the dust very bad for your lungs
I Knap my own and use Flakes to make flatter ones(some times to thin)

Back